Why listen to music while running?
74% of runners listen to music when they run according to Runner's World magazine…but why?
- Distraction from the pain – Pharrell sounds so much sweeter than your own heavy breathing
- Set the pace and tempo for different stages of the run with a curated Spotify playlist
Find out which headphones best match your running style.
1. Serious runner: wireless design and performance boost
If you find yourself getting tangled in wires while you train for your next race, wireless headphones could be best for you. Some even have extra features to get more from your workout and get you ready for that 10K.
Why not try… Bose SoundSport Wireless Bluetooth headphones
- Connect to your smartphone or iPod wirelessly using Bluetooth – no trailing cables
- Track your fitness progress with the built-in heart rate monitor
- Run in all weathers – they’re sweat and water resistant to give you durable performance in tough conditions
- Stay comfy with a lightweight headband and soft, silicone ‘StayHear’ Tips that sit securely in your ears
- Never run out of juice with up to 6 hours battery life for non-stop motivating soundtracks.
2. Park Run fashionista: Cool branding and comfy design
You like to look good when rocking up at your local park run, so pick an on-trend pair of headphones that blends style and smooth handling with solid sound performance.
Why not try… Beats X Wireless Bluetooth headphones
- Get maximum comfort as you exercise by mixing and matching the earbud tips and wingtips for the perfect fit
- Connect wirelessly to your iPhone and other Apple devices through Bluetooth
- Run all day with up to 8 hours’ battery life or 2 hours on a 5-minute quick-charge
- Take calls during your run with RemoteTalk (that’s if you still have the energy to chat)
3. In-ear personal trainer: Heart-rate monitor and audio coaching
Getting serious about running and want to better understand your performance? A headphone set that doubles as a personal trainer could be the motivation you need.
Why not try… Jabra Elite Sport
- Accurately measure your heart rate to see when you need to slow down or up the intensity
- Get real-time in-ear coaching with tips and feedback to get the best from your workout
- Be free of cables and cords with the wireless design that connects to your phone via Bluetooth
- Get durable performance with sweat and water resistance
4. If you don't like earbuds
Not a fan of wearing buds? Try a pair of on-ear headphones that are specially designed for intense sport instead.
Why not try… Monster iSport Freedom
- Power through long-distance runs in all weathers with sweat and water-resistance
- Stay focused, wherever you train by switching from normal mode to turbo mode
- Switch tracks or pause with easy to access ear cup controls.
5. For flexibility and freedom: Fast charge and cable-free
You’re often too busy to plan your workouts ahead of time and need your headphones to be ready to go when you are.
Why not try… Jaybird X3 Sparta Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Ready to go at the drop of a hat. Fast charge gives you 1 hour of battery life in just 5 minutes.
- Don’t let wires get in the way of your workout. Enjoy cable-free music
- A sweat-proof and water-resistant design so you can keep up your fitness rain or shine
- Increase your stamina with up to 8 hours of battery life
Share this article
Related in Headphones