5 sports headphones to keep you motivated
Running is an easy, inexpensive way to improve your fitness. Starting out on a Park run or training for a 10K? We’ve got the headphones to suit every runner…
Why listen to music while running?
75% of runners listen to music when they run according to Runner's World magazine… Why?
- Distraction from the pain – Pharrell sounds so much sweeter than your own heavy breathing
- Set the pace and tempo for different stages of the run with a curated Spotify playlist
Find out which headphones best match your running style.
1. Serious runner: wireless design and performance boost
If you find yourself getting tangled in wires while you train for you next race, wireless headphones could be best for you. Some even have extra features to get more from your workout and get you ready for that 10K.
Why not try… Bose SoundSport Pulse Wireless
- Connect to your smartphone or iPod wirelessly using Bluetooth – no trailing cables
- Track your fitness progress with the built-in heart rate monitor
- Run in all weathers – they’re sweat and water resistance to give you durable performance in tough conditions
- Stay comfy with soft silicone earbuds that sit securely in your ears and lightweight headband
- Never run out of juice with up to 6 hours battery life for non-stop motivating soundtracks.
2. Park Run fashionista: Cool branding and comfy design
You like to look good when rocking up at your local Park Run, so pick an on-trend pair of headphones that blends style and smooth handling with solid sound performance.
Why not try… Beats Powerbeats3
- Get maximum comfort as you exercise with secure-fit ear hooks that won’t budge as you work out
- Run in the rain with sweat and water resistance that can withstand intense all-weather workouts
- Connect to your smartphone or iPod wirelessly using Bluetooth to avoid the hassle of trailing cables
- Run all day with up to 12 hours battery life or 1 hour on a 5 minute quick-charge
Another option? The JBL Under Armour are another pair of slick-looking wireless headphones for turning heads at the park.
3. In-ear personal trainer: Heart-rate monitor and audio coaching
Getting serious about running and want to better understand your performance? A headphone set that doubles as a personal trainer could be the motivation you need.
Why not try… Jabra Elite Sport
- Accurately measure your heart rate to see when you need to slow down or up the intensity
- Get real time in-ear coaching with tips and feedback to get the best from your workout
- Be free of cables and cords with the wireless design that connects to your phone via Bluetooth
- Get durable performance with sweat and water resistance
4. If you don't like earbuds
Not a fan of wearing buds? Try a pair of on-ear headphones that are specially designed for intense sport.
Why not try… Monster iSport Freedom
- Power through long-distance runs in all weathers with sweat and water-resistance
- Stay focused, wherever you train by switching from normal mode to turbo mode
- Switch tracks or pause with easy to access ear cup controls.
5. Budget beginner: Good sound at a sound price
You’re a casual runner who wants headphones that will delivery great audio quality for your weekly workout.
Why not try… Sony MDRAS410APB
- Adapt your headphones to your style – these Sony headphones are available in 4 different colours
- Enjoy rich, high-quality audio – with loud, clear output that lets you hear every beat as you run
- Work out in any weather with a splash-proof design
- Loop over-ear hangers and 4 earbud sizes give you a secure fit whatever the workout