What to buy for music lovers
Music lovers on your gift-list? Whether it’s a Hi-Fi husband, an indie-loving student or a dad (or mum) rocker – we'll help you find the right gift.
Proper music-lovers can be hard to buy for – picky, elitist and sure of what they do (and don’t) like. Making it even harder are the many ways of listening to music, whether digitally through Spotify or iTunes or with proper vinyl records. Our handy gift guide should help you recognise your music lover…
For the high-flying audiophile with a train commute
In a nutshell: Enjoy favourite playlists in superb quality without the background noise of the bus, train or office
They pride themselves on their high-end audio kit at home and they deserve the same premium listening experience on their daily commute.
With the Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones they can enjoy high-quality listening from their smartphone with the chatter of fellow passengers or traffic noise blocked out. These headphones have clever noise-cancelling technology that reduce background noise using microphones inside and outside the ear cups. In effect you’re left isolated in a world of superb sound quality – detailed, dynamic and clear.
Use the Bose QuietComfort 35 to…
- Connect to your phone wirelessly via Bluetooth – no more tangled cables
- Take calls on the go thanks to the microphone that connects to your smartphone
- Stay entertained on longer trips with the huge 20-hour battery life
For the vinyl addict
In a nutshell: An affordable turntable to get stuck into the current vinyl revival and digitise your record collection
Vinyl is well and truly back in fashion (some 2 million LPs sold last year) and someone on your gift list has either started buying records or is slowly but surely bringing boxes down from the loft. Make their day with a new turntable to play their cherished or ever-growing library of vinyl. The ION Max turntable easily hooks up to your Hi-Fi amplifier and speakers and it’s pretty easy on the eye.
Use it to:
- Turn your records into digital MP3s with the EZ converter software
- Complement your stylish room with the classic marbled wood finish
- Listen through the built-in speakers if you don’t have Hi-Fi gear
Music obsessive playing tunes at home
In a nutshell: Smartphone-controlled speakers in every room of the home – but bought one at a time
They’re not happy unless they’re listening to an album or playlist – whether they’re getting ready for a night out, cooking or in the bath.
With smart sound multi-room speakers they can fill their home with music. The wireless speakers connect to your Wi-Fi so you can control them with a smartphone app from anywhere in the home. Play different music in each room - Kings of Leon in the kitchen and the Stones in the sitting room? The best bit though? You can buy the speakers 1 at a time, so you can build your network to suit your budget. Sonos is the best-known multi-room system, Sonos PLAY:1 is a great speaker to get started with.
Use it to:
- Fill your home with as many as 32 Sonos speakers, without a cable in sight
- Stream from Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music and more
- Put the more powerful PLAY:3 or PLAY:5 speakers in your living room
For the house-party loving student
In a nutshell: Get the party started with a powerful speaker that streams from a smartphone
They’re at university or living with friends for the first time. They have lots of parties, or gatherings, and want a sound system that does their Spotify playlists justice.
The Sony XB7 is a huge wireless speaker with flashing lights. It hooks up to your smartphone through Bluetooth (or NFC) for seriously loud Spotify streaming. The speaker is huge – knee-high and around 35cm in depth, and has huge sound to boot.
Use it to:
- Enjoy room-filling sound with true Stereo, 2 subwoofers and 2 tweeters
- Beef up the bass – just press the Extra Bass button to bring out deeper sounds
- Carry it from one party to the next with its rugged, gig-speaker design
Still haven't found the right gift? Check out more audio gifts for music lovers in our gift guide.