Which portable wireless speaker should I buy?
Looking for a way to take your favourite tunes outside this summer? A portable speaker can play music from your phone or tablet wirelessly. We help you decide which is right for you…
Why buy a portable wireless speaker?
Lightweight and battery powered, portable wireless speakers can stream music from your phone or tablet over Bluetooth – think Spotify and your own iTunes for starters.
They’re ideal for student halls, business trips, festivals and travelling – for listening indoors and outdoors – sometimes even in the rain.
But which portable wireless speaker is right for you?
For listening at home
In a nutshell: Go for a good all-rounder you can use in the house or take outside into the garden
Whether you’re raking autumn leaves in the garden or relaxing with a book inside on a rainy day, the JBL Flip 3 is a great speaker. Its durable, splash proof design makes it perfect for using outdoors in the colder months. Its portable design is also ideal to take away on holiday or slip in your bag on the way to a party.
Use it to:
- Play music by the pool or in the rain thanks to a splash proof design
- Soundtrack parties inside or out with loud, clear sound
- Keep the party going with 8 hours battery life
Do you want a completely waterproof speaker with more bass for your parties? Get the JBL Charge 3
In a nutshell: You’ll need a speaker with long battery life and sturdy design strong enough to last the weekend
Whether you’re getting the party started for the night or kicking back with a few beers back at the campsite – make sure you have the right soundtrack with a speaker that combines tough design with high quality sound, like the UE Boom 2.
Use it to:
- Keep partying in the rain and mud – it’s waterproof down to 1 metre for 30 minutes and dirt restraint
- Sling in your rucksack with durable, shockproof design
- Get excellent sound quality no matter where you stand with the 360-degree playbac
- Wirelessly connect to another UE speaker for even better sound
Did you know? You can connect your phone to the speaker in a simple tap with NFC – no need to fumble around with Bluetooth
To take on your travels
In a nutshell: Go for a compact portable speaker that won’t take up too much of your luggage allowance
Heading off on a winter break? Take your favourite playlists with you and listen to them in their full glory with a compact speaker like the Sony SRS-X11B.
Use it to:
- Travel incredibly lightly with this cute, tiny cube-shaped speaker
- Enjoy 12 hours of playback with the built-in lithium-ion battery
- Connect your phone in a simple tap with NFC technology – what is NFC?
For audiophiles and business travel
In a nutshell: Small speaker that’s big on sound and premium design for Hi-Fi enthusiasts and jet-setters
You appreciate the finer things – whether that’s the best in Hi-Fi equipment to match your records or merely well-designed clothes and products. Bose is known for its audio innovation – and its Bose SoundLink Mini II offers portable design without compromising on sound.
Use it to:
- Enjoy superior sound quality – clear and detailed – whatever genre of music
- Feel surprising levels of bass for a small speaker
- Travel light on business trips – it’s small, light and sturd
- Make phone calls through the speakerphone
For starting a multi-room network
In a nutshell: Fill your home with music one speaker at a time with smart sound multi-room
Smart sound multi-room networks let you fill your home with wireless speakers that are all controlled through a single smartphone app. Start listening to a playlist in the kitchen, then continue while you get ready upstairs. Play different music through each speaker or the same throughout your home. Get started with Sony’s Smart Sound multi-room system with the Sony h.ear go SRS-HG1R.
Use it to:
- Connect other Sony speakers throughout your home
- Control your speaker network with the SongPal Link app
- Stream playlists and albums directly from Spotify
- Listen to high resolution audio for better than CD sound quality. What is high-resolution audio?