Which portable wireless speaker should I buy?
Looking for a way to take your favourite tunes outside this summer? A portable speaker can play music from your phone or tablet wirelessly. We help you decide which is right for you…
Why buy a portable wireless speaker?
Lightweight and battery powered, portable wireless speakers can stream music from your phone or tablet over Bluetooth – think Spotify or iTunes for starters – and are designed for life outdoors and on the road.
But which portable wireless speaker is right for you?
In a nutshell: You’ll need a speaker with long battery life and sturdy design strong enough to last Glastonbury or Reading
Whether you’re getting the party started for the night or kicking back at the campsite – make sure you have the right soundtrack with a speaker that combines tough design with high quality sound, like the UE Boom 2.
Use it to:
- Keep partying in the rain and mud – it’s waterproof down to 1 metre for 30 minutes and dirt restraint
- Sling in your rucksack with durable, shockproof design
- Get excellent sound quality no matter where you stand with the 360-degree playback
- Wirelessly connect to another UE speaker for even better sound
Did you know? You can connect your phone to the speaker in a simple tap with NFC – no need to fumble around with Bluetooth
For summer adventurers
In a nutshell: From loafing in Ko Samui to walking the Great Wall of China, you want a tough and compact portable speaker.
You’ve finished uni for the summer and you’re hitting the road in search of adventure. Left cold by package holidays, you’re all about experiencing the authentic local culture of a place. Make friends and memories with a portable speaker like the Sony SRS-XB20.
Use it to:
- Keep listening on long journeys with 12 hours of battery life
- Add a beat to beach parties with added bass – link up to other XB20s for added oomph
- Create your own disco with in-built multicolour flashing lights
- Stream Spotify by tapping your phone against the speaker thanks to NFC
For listening at home
In a nutshell: Go for a good all-rounder you can use in the house or take outside into the garden
Whether you’re lounging round in the garden on a summer afternoon or entertaining friends, the JBL Charge 3 is a great speaker. Its durable, waterproof design makes it perfect for using outdoors.
Use it to:
- Play music in the rain with water resistance of up to a metre for 30 minutes (IPX7 rating)
- Soundtrack garden parties with loud, clear sound
- Pump up the volume by creating a network of Charge speakers
- Let your BBQ go on ‘til after dark with 20 hours battery life
For starting a multi-room network
In a nutshell: Fill your home with music one speaker at a time with smart sound multi-room.
Smart sound multi-room networks let you fill your home with wireless speakers that are all controlled through a single smartphone app.
Start listening to a playlist in the kitchen, then continue while you get ready upstairs. Play different music through each speaker or the same throughout your home. Get started with Sony’s Smart Sound multi-room system with the Sony h.ear go SRS-HG1R.
Use it to:
- Connect other Sony speakers throughout your home
- Control your speaker network with the SongPal Link app
- Stream playlists and albums directly from Spotify
- Listen to high resolution audio for better than CD sound quality. What is high-resolution audio?
For audiophiles and business travel
In a nutshell: Small speaker that’s big on sound and premium design for Hi-Fi enthusiasts and jet-setters
You appreciate the finer things – whether that’s the best in Hi-Fi equipment to match your records or merely well-designed clothes and products. Bose is known for its audio innovation – and its BOSE Revolve offers portable design without compromising on sound.
Use it to:
- Enjoy superior sound quality – clear and detailed – whatever genre of music
- Feel surprising levels of bass for a small speaker
- Travel light on business trips – it’s small, light and sturdy
- Make phone calls through the speakerphone