Which portable wireless speaker should I buy?
Why not treat a music lover to a portable speaker this Christmas? Here’s a look at some of the best…
Why buy a portable wireless speaker?
Lightweight and battery-powered, portable wireless speakers can stream music from your phone or tablet over Bluetooth. They make the perfect gift for music lovers – allowing them to enjoy their favourite tunes anywhere, anytime.
Some speakers can hook up to others to create a network capable of sound-tracking every room at your party – one company recently connected a world record-breaking 1,000 speakers!
So, which portable wireless speaker is right for the music lover in your life?
In a nutshell: Festival-goers need a speaker with a long battery life and sturdy design that’s robust enough to take on the likes of Glastonbury.
Whether they want to get the party started for the night or kick back at the campsite – make sure they get it right with a speaker that combines tough design with high quality sound like the UE Wonderboom.
Use it to:
- Enjoy the music in all weather – its waterproof design means it can be used in the rain – you can even rinse off the mud afterwards
- Party all night long – The Wonderboom has a 10-hour battery life
- Enjoy big sound – thanks to two tweeters and two bass drivers
- Wirelessly connect to another UE Wonderboom speaker for even more volume
For summer adventurers
In a nutshell: Whether loafing in Kho Samui or walking the Great Wall of China, they’ll want a tough and compact portable speaker.
Adventure-seeking music fans need a speaker they can throw in their backpack and play on the move. The Sony Extra Bass SRS-XB40 is the ideal choice – light, portable and with a long battery life. (In fact the battery is so good you can use the speaker to charge other devices via USB.)
Use it to:
- Keep listening on long journeys with 24 hours of battery life
- Add a beat to beach parties by pushing the EXTRA BASS button for audio with extra oomph
- Stream Spotify by tapping your phone against the speaker thanks to NFC technology
- Control the speaker’s lighting and apply DJ effects from your smartphone – via the Fiestable app
For listening at home
In a nutshell: Go for a good all-rounder that can be used in the house or taken into the garden.
For that friend or family member who likes to enjoy music while lounging at home or entertaining friends in the garden, the JBL Charge 3 is a great choice. Its durable, waterproof design makes it perfect for both in and outdoor use.
Use it to:
- Play music in the rain with water resistance of up to a metre for 30 minutes (IPX7 rating)
- Soundtrack Christmas or garden parties with loud, clear sound
- Pump up the volume by creating a network of Charge speakers
- Party into the early morning with 20 hours’ battery life – you can even charge out from the battery via USB
How many speakers? JBL broke the Guinness World Record for the most Bluetooth speakers playing from a single source with 1,000 Flip 4 speakers playing simultaneously – beating a previous record of 208
For audiophiles and business travel
In a nutshell: Hi-Fi enthusiasts and jet-setters will want a small speaker that’s big on sound and premium design.
This is the gift for those that appreciate the finer things. Bose is known for its audio innovation – and its SoundLink Revolve offers portable design without compromising on sound.
Use it to:
- Enjoy immersive 360° sound
- Play on the go – its aluminium design with top and bottom bumpers is robust and waterproof
- Add more speakers through smartphone connectivity
- Make calls and send texts through the speaker