Which smart sound multi-room system should I buy?
You’ve decided to invest in smart sound multi-room audio – but which system best suits your needs?
With smart sound multi-room speakers you can fill your home with music from the palm of your hand.
The speakers connect to your Wi-Fi and are controlled through an app on your phone or tablet, so there are no trailing cables.
But which system is right for you? We profile Sonos, Bose, Samsung and Google.
Whichever you opt for, you can:
- Play different music in different rooms, or the same throughout the home
- Start with 1 speaker before adding more in other rooms
- Stream Spotify over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, or play music saved on your phone or laptop
- Create a 5.1 home cinema system by adding a soundbar
High-end audio from established innovators – Bose
You’re an audiophile who wants smart sound multi-room from an established Hi-Fi name.
Bose is a great option. It spent decades winning the respect of Hi-Fi enthusiasts with its innovative approach to audio – from its revolutionary 902 speaker in the 1960s to the first noise-cancelling headphones in the 2000s.
The Bose SoundLink Revolve is a small portable bluetooth wireless speaker that packs an awesome sound punch. On the SoundLink Revolve you can…
- Enjoy 360° sound with deep powerful bass for up to 12 hours before needing to recharge
- Use Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music and Tidal – you can play tunes of any file type, from any app on your Bluetooth device
- Access Google Now and Siri directly from the speaker – press the multi-function button to order takeout or send a text message
- Answer phone calls over the speaker – music automatically pauses for you to take your call
- Sing along outside, in the kitchen or in the bathroom – with water resistance and a robust design, you can take this little speaker anywhere
How to get started with Bose
Start off your Bose multi-room network with the SoundLink Revolve
Expanding your Bose network
Fill your living room with crisp, clear sound with the bigger Bose SoundTouch 20
It’s physically bigger than the SoundLink Revolve and delivers powerful, full-bodied sound – with much clarity and detail.
Simple set-up and super speakers from a multi-room pioneer – Sonos
You want the original multi-room system. Something that combines great sound quality with a wealth of music services to stream from.
One that’s simple to set up and use, and has the flexibility to grow with you.
Sonos is a great option.
You control the speakers from your smartphone using the Sonos app. It’s very easy to use – select your room, the music service, the album and then tap ‘play’.
The Sonos speaker range is similar to Bose’s but there are a few things Sonos has that Bose lacks.
With Sonos you can…
- Stream music over WiFi from your laptop, desktop or smartphone
- Enjoy full-bodied sound from the smallest Sonos speaker
- Ask Alexa to change songs – you have access to all of Amazon Alexa built-in skills – from controlling your music selection to managing your smart devices
- Combine different speakers and accessories – including the Play range of speakers and a TV soundbar – to play music throughout your house
- Match the speaker sound to the dynamics of your room with Trueplay tuning
How to get started with Sonos
Get your wireless Sonos network off to the perfect start with the smallest of the Sonos speakers, the Sonos One
Expanding your Sonos network
Combine 2 speakers with a Sonos Playbar for 5.1 home cinema
You can fill the biggest living room with thumping bass and crystal clear sound with the Sonos Play:5 speaker
It delivers powerful sound with deeper bass, throwing out left/right stereo sound from a single speaker – perfect for house parties and rocking out while vacuuming.
Cutting-edge speaker technology – Samsung R Series
When it comes to tech, are you always into the latest innovations?
Perhaps genuinely innovative design intrigues you – particularly when it can help make listening to music or watching TV even more immersive.
Samsung combines elegant minimalist design with innovative speaker and audio technology in its R-Series multi-room range.
You control speakers through the Samsung Multi-room App on your phone. Everything from choosing an album to grouping speakers is simple.
With Samsung you can…
- Be a pioneer – the speakers were developed at Samsung’s US audio lab
- Enjoy the same sound quality wherever you’re stood with 360° omni-directional sound
- Stay chic with the minimalist speaker designs
- Stream over Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi
- Listen to Spotify, Deezer and Qobuz from your smartphone
- Stream high-resolution audio files for top quality listening
- Connect to other Samsung tech like a TV or smart home gadgets
How to get started with Samsung
Hear your favourite music from all directions with the svelte, stylish Samsung R1 speaker
Pop it on a shelf to make a real style and sound statement for less than £170.
Expanding your Samsung network
Impress your friends with the superb 360° sound and head-turning design of the Samsung R7 speaker
Its resin-coated, egg-shaped design is perched on top of a chrome base. Its clever design delivers the same sound quality wherever you put it, even near to a wall, by spreading sound evenly in all directions.
Smart control speakers with the Google assistant – Google Home
You have lots of questions and you love using Google to find the answers. And no wonder, with Google the number one search engine.
The powerful search skills of the Google Assistant are built into the top-notch tech of the Google Home speakers. Tell Google to play that song and turn up the volume throughout your home.
With Google Home you can…
- Activate the Google Assistant through a simple voice command – the far-field microphones are great at picking up your questions and commands
- Listen to music from 360° from your Spotify or Google Play accounts, or stream podcasts and radio through apps on your smart devices
- Control your life – tell Google to set an appointment and alarm, or even to make a phone call
- Control your home – you can direct Google to stream TV shows via Chromecast and control smart technology in your home
- Get a personal response, with voice recognition that differentiates you from others in your home
- Connect to Google compatible speakers to play music throughout your home
How to get started with Google Home
Get voice control over your life with Google Home
Expanding your Google Home network
At less than £50, the Google Home Mini is the smallest in the Google Home range – fitting unobtrusively into every room of the house.