What are multi-room speakers?
Simply put, they’re speakers that link up to fill your whole home with high-quality sound.
You can control them through an app on your phone or tablet – no wires, no clunky separates, no hassle.
With multi-room you can:
- Fill your home with lots of speakers – as many as 32
- Control them through a single app
- Listen to different music in each room
- Stream Spotify or Apple Music
- Play your iTunes archive or other MP3s
There are all sorts of multi-room speaker options out there. Let’s look at some of the best…
Bose: High-end audio from established innovators
Are you a total audiophile? Do you need a smart sound multi-room system from an established Hi-Fi name? Then you need the Bose SoundTouch.
- Play music from your phone or tablet via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
- Stream Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music and Tidal
- Create a network of SoundTouch speakers around your home
- Easily play different music in each room
- Control your network through the simple SoundTouch app
- Compatible with Bose’s high-end Hi-Fi systems
How to get started with Bose
Smart, compact and with a lower price, the SoundTouch 10 is a great way to start building your Bose multi-room network.
Expanding your Bose network
Fill your living room with high-clarity, full-bodied sound with the bigger Bose SoundTouch 20.
Sonos: Simple set-up and quality speakers from a multi-room pioneer
Do you want the original multi-room system – something that combines great sound quality with all sorts of streaming music services? Look no further. Sonos has got you.
- Control everything from the Sonos app
- Unrivalled compatibility: stream with Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer, SoundCloud and many more
- Fill your home with as many as 32 Sonos speakers
- Control your music with your voice thanks to Amazon Echo compatibility
- Easily choose different music for each room in the Sonos app
- Enjoy full-bodied sound from the smallest Sonos speaker
How to get started with Sonos
Expanding your Sonos network
Combine 5 speakers with a Sonos Beam Sound Bar, and get the sound pumping all through your home.
Then, fill your biggest living room with thumping bass and crystal-clear sound with the Sonos Play:5 speaker.
Samsung R Series: Cutting-edge speaker technology
Samsung has mixed minimalist design with innovative audio technology to create the Samsung VL350. Hook it up to the Samsung Multi-Room App and control it from anywhere in the house.
- Distortion cancellation tech means you can ramp up the bass without compromising on sound quality
- Stream over Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi
- Listen with your favourite music apps, from Spotify to Qobuz
- Stream high-resolution audio files for top quality listening
- Connect to your other Samsung tech like a smart TV
How to get started with Samsung
Hear your favourite music from all directions with the slim, stylish Samsung VL350 speaker.
Pop it on a shelf to make a style and sound statement that your party guests will absolutely love.
Amazon Echo: The original smart speaker
Echo is smart on the inside, and now it looks just as smart on the outside too, thanks to a sophisticated makeover. Playing music, making lists and getting the latest headlines has never been so easy – or looked so cool.
- Stream music in 360° from Spotify or Amazon Music Unlimited
- Create a multi-room network with your other Echo speakers
- Talk to the speaker to control smart tech around your home
- ...and to make appointments, order pizza, ask for the weather, or...
How to get started with Amazon Echo
Bring voice control into your home with the Amazon Echo Dot
Looking for another option?
Sonos, Samsung and Amazon are perhaps the most well-known smart and/or multi-room speakers. But there are plenty ofother options too. The JBL Link 10 has Google Assistant built-in for easy control.
The Sony LF-S50G is a real head-turner. It also has Google Assistant, and don’t you just love the digital clock peeking through the speaker mesh?
Share this article
Related in Speakers