Which smart sound multi-room system should I buy?
You’ve decided to invest in smart sound multi-room audio – but which system best suits your needs? We help you find out…
With smart sound multi-room speakers you can fill your home with music from the palm of your hand.
The speakers connect to your Wi-Fi and are controlled through an app on your phone or tablet. Because they’re wireless, there’s no trailing cables.
But which system is right for you? We profile Sonos, Bose and Samsung.
Whichever you opt for, you can:
- Play different music in different rooms, or the same throughout the home
- Start with 1 speaker before adding more in other rooms
- Stream Spotify over Wi-Fi or play music saved on your phone or laptop
- Create a 5.1 home cinema system by adding a soundbar
High-end audio from established innovators – Bose
You’re an audiophile who wants smart sound multi-room from an established Hi-Fi name. Bose is a great option. It spent decades winning the respect of Hi-Fi enthusiasts with its innovative approach to audio – from its revolutionary 902 speaker in the 1960s to the first noise-cancelling headphones in the 2000s.
The speakers and what you’re listening to are controlled by the Bose SoundTouch app – which is getting easier to use with each new update. Bose’s speaker range is similar to that of Sonos, but there are a few things Bose has that Sonos doesn’t.
With Bose SoundTouch you can…
- Choose from 3 different-sized and sounding speakers
- Enjoy full-bodied sound from even the smallest SoundTouch
- Use Spotify and Deezer but not Apple Music or Tidal
- Stream over Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi, or play music from your laptop or NAS drive
- Play WAV and FLAC music files
- Easily reach favourite stations and playlists with speaker preset buttons
- Add the SoundTouch 300 soundbar to control TV audio through your phone
How to get started with Bose
Start off your Bose multi-room network with the SoundTouch 10
Its smaller size fits perfectly on a bookcase in a smaller room, while the lower price means you can start your multi-room network on a budget. The sound is impressive – big, clear and balanced.
Expanding your Bose network
Fill your living room with crisp, clear sound with the bigger Bose SoundTouch 20
It’s physically bigger than the SoundTouch 10 and delivers powerful, full-bodied sound – with much clarity and detail.
Simple set-up and super speakers from a multi-room pioneer – Sonos
You want the original multi-room system. Something that combines great sound quality with a wealth of music services to stream from. One that’s simple to set up and use, and has the flexibility to grow with you. Sonos is a great option. You control the speakers from your smartphone using the Sonos app. It’s known for being super-easy to use – select your room, the music service, the album then tap 'play'.
The Sonos speaker range is similar to Bose’s but there are a few things Sonos has that Bose lacks.
With Sonos you can…
- Fill your home with Sonos speakers (as many as 32)
- Combine different speakers and accessories designed to work together – including a TV soundbar
- Enjoy more streaming services – including Apple Music/Google Play Music/Spotfify/Tidal
- Play music from your laptop or NAS drive
- Enjoy full-bodied sound from the smallest Sonos speaker
- Combine 2 Sonos speakers to create a true left/right stereo pair
- Match the speaker sound to the dynamics of your room with Trueplay tuning
How to get started with Sonos
Get your Sonos network off to the perfect start with the Play:1 speaker
It’s small, more affordable and perfect for bedrooms and kitchens. Combine 2 speakers with a Sonos Playbar for 5.1 home cinema
Expanding your Sonos network
You can fill the biggest living room with thumping bass and crystal clear sound with the Sonos Play: 5 speaker
It delivers powerful sound with deeper bass, throwing out left/right stereo sound from a single speaker – perfect for house parties and rocking out while vacuuming.
Cutting-edge speaker technology – Samsung R Series
When it comes to tech, you’re always across the latest innovations.
Genuinely innovative design intrigues you – particularly when it can help make listening to music or watching TV even more immersive. It helps if the product is good looking, too. Samsung combines elegant minimalist design with innovative speaker and audio technology in its R-Series multi-room range. Your speakers are controlled through the Samsung Multiroom App on your phone. Everything from choosing an album to grouping speakers is simple.
With Samsung you can…
- Be a pioneer – the speakers were developed at Samsung’s US audio lab
- Enjoy the same sound quality wherever you’re stood with 360° omni-directional sound
- Stay chic with the minimalist egg-shaped speaker design
- Stream over Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi
- Listen to Spotify, Deezer and Qobuz from your smartphone
- Stream high-resolution audio files for top quality listening
- Connect to other Samsung tech like a TV or smart home gadgets
How to get started with Samsung
Feel your favourite music from all directions with the svelte, stylish Samsung R1 speaker
Pop it on a shelf to make a real style and sound statement for less than £170.
Expanding your Samsung network
Impress your friends with the superb 360° sound and head-turning design of the Samsung R7 speaker
Its resin-coated, egg-shaped design is perched on top of a chrome base. Its clever design delivers the same sound quality wherever you put it, even near to a wall, by spreading sound evenly in all directions.