3 essentials for getting set up with a new computer
Everyone needs different things from a computer. Whether you’re starting university or are upgrading the family PC, it’s important to find the right computer for you. However, what is equally as important is often the thing that we forget - getting the right setup.
When setting up your new computer, there’s a few essential steps you need to follow. The first is making sure you’re fully protected from viruses to keep your personal details safe and avoid any risky downloads.
Next, you’ll need to install software for all of your daily tasks. Programmes that allow you to type up documents, write emails, and compile spreadsheets are all essentials for any computer.
Finally, to make sure you keep all your valuable files safe and backed up, you need to find the right storage solution. This will allow you to keep important documents, music and photos secure and easy to access. Computers no longer come pre-loaded with all of this software and storage, so that’s why we’ve put together the top 3 essentials that you need to get set up with your new PC:
1. Internet security software
Your computer holds a lot of sensitive information - from your bank details to personal information. It’s important to make sure that you’re protecting all this from online threats - which is why Internet security is a must-have.
We recommend: McAfee LiveSafe
This software allows you to:
- Protect your kids from inappropriate content using parental control
- Avoid dodgy downloads and websites
- Remove and block unwanted programs and viruses
- Protect both your mobile devices and your PC with one solution.
2. Office software
If you’re just starting a University course, you’ll already know you’re going to have a lot of essay writing ahead of you. The last thing you want is to begin your course without having all the right programmes to write essays, create spreadsheets and send emails. Office software can give you all these essentials in one simple package.
We recommend: Microsoft Office 365
- Includes Powerpoint, Excel, Word, Outlook Access and OneNote
- Supports all your devices – including Mac, tablet, smartphone and PC.
- Allows you to create presentations, documents and spreadsheets on the go
- Lets you access your files anytime, anywhere – even offline.
- Comes as a personal subscription, or a package for up to 5 users.
Family holiday snaps, your favourite music, and important documents – these are all things we treasure and want to keep safe – so make sure you pick the right storage to go with your computer. It’s easy to forget to back up our files, so making sure you have storage that automatically does this for you as you add them will prevent you from accidentally losing any precious photo albums or movies.
We recommend: Knowhow Cloud
The cloud lets you:
- Share, save and easily access all your files from anywhere
- Securely backup your valuable files, photos and media on up to 5 devices
- Access files from tablet, PC or mobile
Knowhow is available in 3 different storage sizes, so you can pick the right one to suit you.
If you want to cover all bases and get set up without the fuss of buying different products separately, you can find a bundle that gives you Knowhow, Microsoft Office, and McAfee LiveSafe all in one.
Not quite found the right laptop for you? We help you find your perfect match with What’s your story?