Apple WWDC: HomePod Speaker and new iMacPro
Apple launched a cluster of new products at WWDC, including its first smart speaker and ‘the most powerful Mac ever’…
Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) takes place annually in California. Each year sees new products and OS updates, but 2017 has proved to be a landmark, with Apple launching a smart speaker to rival Amazon Echo and Google Home alongside a raft of other products.
New iPad Pro and iOS 11
In a nutshell: Powerful iPad Pro tablet gets a new 10.5-inch model and iOS 11 debuts
The iPad Pro has quickly become a favourite of designers. Super-fast, super-sharp and with the Apple Pencil for designing and sketching, it’s a creative’s dream.
Originally available in 12.9 inch and standard iPad 9.7 inch sizes, Apple has now launched a model somewhere in the middle. The 10.5 inch iPad Pro is the perfect answer for anyone who found the others either too big or too small.
It gets a new type of Retina screen, ProMotion, designed to give you a smoother and more fluid experience when drawing with Apple Pencil.
- Brightest iPad screen yet with ability to adjust itself to suit the light around you
- Digital cinema standard colour thanks to a wider colour gamut
- Faster than most PC laptops with the powerful 64-bit A10X chip
- So photo and video editing and rendering 3D images is effortless
- Annotate PDFs or draw on screenshots using Instant Markup and Apple Pencil
- Instantly write notes by tapping Apple Pencil on the screen
The iPad Pro will, like other iPads and iPhones, run the new iOS 11 from the autumn. iOS 11 was previewed at WWDC, and it’s packed with cool new features – including a handy document scanner and a new customisable dock.
In a nutshell: Put simply, the fastest and most powerful Mac ever made for creatives running the most demanding software
The new iMac Pro has been described by commentators as a design statement and a supercomputer. With its vast 27-inch screen, and stunning space grey body, it looks just that.
But who is it for? Creatives who demand serious power. Whether you’re doing advanced video editing, creating virtual reality content or handling 3D rendering in real time – these are the kind of power tasks iMac Pro was made for.
The specs are simply head-spinning…
- Intel Xeon processors up to 18 cores – most high end laptops have 4!
- 27-inch Retina 5K display with support for 1 billion colours
- Radeon Pro Vega GPU, the most advanced graphics ever in a Mac
- And a new thermal cooling system to keep it all ticking over
iMac Pro will be available from December 2017.
In a nutshell: Apple’s smart speaker that works with Siri and Apple Music and is serious about sound quality
The HomePod is voice-activated, and works with digital assistant Siri. But Apple places the spotlight foremost on its performance as a music player.
And we can see why. It packs powerful speaker technology and wireless streaming of the entire Apple Music library.Apple says the HomePod will have a similar impact to the iPod.
- Automatic tweaking of the sound using spatial awareness
- Discovery of new music for you by developing deep knowledge of your music preferences
- Deep and clean bass from the Apple-designed woofer
- Authentic studio sound thanks to high-frequency acoustics and beam-forming tweeters
- Powerful sound in a portable package – at 7 inches tall, it’s bookshelf-friendly
What about its smart features? The speaker is designed for voice control. Simply ask Siri your question: who’s playing drums on this track? Or ask it for updates on news and weather. Tell it you like a track and it’ll remember.
HomePod will be available from December 2017.
Love Apple? Browser our brand page for iPads, Macs and more