Experience Rio without leaving your sofa with Google
Explore the streets of Rio and get the latest from the athletics with Google on your tablet
The world goes athletics-crazy this month as all eyes turn to Rio de Janeiro in Brazil – one of the world’s most beautiful cities. Stay abreast of the latest information and explore the enchanting South American city without leaving the sofa thanks to Google and your tablet.
Get to know Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro is an enchanting place. With idyllic sandy beaches – including the world-famous Copacabana Beach – and its distinctive rocky landscape, it’s no wonder the readers of Rough Guides voted it among the world’s 10 most beautiful cities. It’s known for lush city parks and exotic wildlife, and Corcovado mountain carpeted in thick green forest and topped by one of the world’s most recognisable landmarks – the famous Christ the Redeemer statue.
But Rio is an 11-hour flight from London and an expensive trip. So not everyone can experience its beauty. Now anyone who wants to stroll the streets of Rio and explore its famous favelas can do so (albeit virtually) with the help of Google and your tablet.
User your tablet to…
- Take a taxi ride through the backstreets favelas in the hills of Rio
- Use your finger to drag the view to different perspectives – look up or to the side or below as though you’re there
- Meet the locals and hear their stories - including a boy whose life was changed by the Dance Party video game
- See the Christ the Redeemer statue atop Corcovado mountain from every angle, and learn its story
- Browse photo collections of spectacular Rio views – such as the mysterious Guanabara Bay
- Take a tour of the Cariocas bronze statues of famous poets and footballers – dotted around the city
Stay abreast of the athletics
Of course the main reason we’re talking about Rio de Janeiro is because a certain athletics event that only takes place every 4 years is happening in the city. There’s a lot going on, with over 300 events (including 47 for athletics alone). From the 800M to the heptathlon and the long jump to weightlifting and wrestling.
It can be difficult to stay across things – particularly when you’re on the go. But with the Google app on your tablet you can…
- Explore the event schedule and who has won what medals in search
- Use the YouTube app to watch highlights from official broadcasters
- Set up to receive automatic updates on top event and medal wins
Of course, if you want to see Rio in the best possible light then look at tablets with sharp screens. Choose a model with a high-resolution display such as Full HD or Ultra HD for a rich, detailed picture.
The responsive touchscreen is also perfect for sliding and scrolling through the various features of Google’s guide to Rio with the tablet sat in your lap.
Prioritise a thin, lightweight design and you have a solid travel companion if you ever do make it to Brazil.