Internet security: The best and easiest way to protect your computer and keep your accounts secure
You’re probably aware of anti-virus software that keeps unwanted nasties off your computer, but did you know the best Internet security packages also help protect your online accounts and prevent identity theft?
The complete package for protection
It’s important to protect your computer from viruses and other malware, and an internet security package is your first line of defence here. On top of this, it’s just as important to make sure your account passwords and personal details don’t fall into the wrong hands. Good internet security software will help here, too.
How will this software keep my accounts and personal details safe?
Internet security software can do a number of things:
- Stop access to websites known to be infected with malware
- Actively scan all software downloading onto your system, blocking anything suspicious
- Check any email and attachments for threats
- Block unwanted access to your system with a firewall
- Automatically manage the passwords to all your online accounts
- Keep personal data secure online
- Protect you from identity theft and “phishing” scams
- Add parental controls so you can be sure your children are safe online
Can I trust this software?
The three internet security packages we recommend in this article are made by well established companies with a long history of providing effective protection for computers.
Norton, McAfee and Kaspersky are all viewed as “industry standard” and receive many awards and recommendations from magazines, newspapers and technology websites.
What about my mobile phone or tablet?
It’s just as important to make sure your smartphone or tablet is protected for use on the internet, so the best internet security packages will keep you safe whatever device you’re using.
Your mobile device will also get additional benefits should you misplace it. These can include:
- Locate your smartphone or tablet and show you on a map where it is
- Lock the device remotely and display a message on the screen
- Remotely backup all the data to the cloud
- Remotely delete all the data (including any memory cards)
- Take a photo of anyone using the device
- Play a loud “scream alarm” if it falls into the wrong hands
For more information:
Help - I think my computer already has an issue
If you think your computer might have some unwanted nasties on it, or it doesn't seem to be working properly and you don't know what to do, there's no need to worry. Our Knowhow experts are ready to get you back up and running in no time.
No matter where you bought it, simply bring your laptop into a Currys or PC World store with a Knowhow service bar and we’ll give you a free consultation to determine what the problem is. If you are unable to come into store you can call our Knowhow team on 0344 561 1234.