Intel Core M – what is it and what can it do for you?
Quiet, cool, super-thin and brilliant on battery life – Intel Core M laptops are perfect for travellers and those who work on the go…
Core M is a type of processor that powers incredibly thin laptops, tablets and 2 in 1 devices. It blends efficient running and long battery life with portable design and processing oomph.
What is a processor?
The processor is like your laptop’s brain. It works out how fast it can run, how many jobs it can do at once and many other things.
Intel is the best-known processor-maker. Its range of Core processors power the majority of our laptops.
So why has it developed Core M, and is it right for you?
How is Core M different to regular Intel processors?
Powerful processors generate heat when they’re running, so the laptops they power have built-in fans to keep them cool. This restricts how thin a laptop can be.
Intel Core M is designed to stay cool, so a laptop using it doesn’t need a fan. This means it can be used in incredibly thin laptops.
Benefits of Core M
- Powerful enough for working in Office, watching video and browsing the web
- Sick of your noisy laptop? Core M laptops are super quiet
- With no fan, laptops and 2 in 1s can be really thin and light – less than 9mm thick
- Energy-efficient. Core M devices use far less power (just 4.5 watts)
- Less power means less heat – so your laptop will stay cool
The science bit – how it achieves these benefits
Core M is much smaller than a traditional Intel Core processor. In fact, it’s 50% smaller and 30% thinner than 5th generation Core processors.
It’s the first processor to use 14-nanometere transistors – the smallest ever used in a product you can buy in the shops.
It’s able to use less power, and therefore generate less heat, thanks to Thermal Design Power technology.
With no need for a fan to keep the processor cool, the laptop can be thinner and run more quietly.
What about power?
Laptops with Intel Core M processors are not as powerful as those with Intel Core i3 or i5 processors.
But they still pack more than enough power for everyday computing.
The latest Core M processors are called 6th Gen – and you can choose between the m3, m5 and m7, with the m7 being the most powerful.
2 in 1 laptops and Core M
Core M has been designed to get the best from 2 in 1 laptops.
With a 2 in 1 you get the work benefits of a laptop, and the convenience of a tablet. Write emails and type reports on the laptop keyboard, browse Facebook and watch Netflix on the touchscreen tablet.
The perfect travel laptop?
A travel laptop needs to be portable – thin, light and with enough power to get stuff done.
If you’re working on planes and trains and in public places it would also help if it wasn’t too noisy and had enough battery power to keep going all day…
That’s why a 2 in 1 powered by Intel Core M is a great option for a taking on your travels.
Core M laptops we love
Both our chosen laptops are 2 in 1 devices that run 6th Gen Intel Core M processors and use thin, light, fast SSD storage.
Asus UX360 – more laptop than tablet
Super-slim and made from solid aluminium, this at first glance looks like any other premium laptop.
But the screen can be folded back on a 360° hinge ‘til it sits flush against the keyboard – giving you a handy touchscreen tablet. With it you can:
- Work for hours with the superb full-size keyboard and up to 12 hours battery life
- Runs most powerful Core M processor – m7
- Stay connected with Micro HDMI, USB Type-C and USB 3.0
- Have a similar premium aluminium design to other high-end ZenBook laptops
- Enjoy a QHD screen (3200x1800 resolution) and more vivid and accurate colours
- …and wide viewing angles when watching movies or working with IPS screen technology
Check out the Asus ZenBook Flip UX360
Huawei MateBook – more tablet than laptop
The Huawei MateBook looks and feels like a tablet that can also be used as a laptop.
Made from a single piece of aluminium, the 12-inch tablet is incredibly stylish too. With it you can:
- Attach the backlit keyboard to turn into a laptop with 9 hours battery life
- Choose between m3 or the more powerful m5 Core M processors
- Easily slip it into your bag thanks to the incredibly thin (6.9mm) and light (640g) design
- Watch video on the QHD screen (2160x1440 resolution) with vivid colours thanks to 85% colour gamut
- Enjoy wide viewing angles when watching movies or working with IPS screen technology
- Log in fast with the highly responsive fingerprint scanner
- Make notes and sketch on screen with the MatePen digital stylus (sold separately)