What 2 in 1 laptop should I buy?
Get the best of a laptop and tablet with a 2 in 1 device – but which is right for you? Here’s our pick for students, creatives and business folk…
What is a 2 in 1 laptop?
A laptop that can also be used as a tablet. They’re designed to get the best from touchscreen and mouse-and-keyboard controls of Windows 10.
Swipe through apps and webpages with your fingertips, while also typing on your keyboard. It’s the best of both worlds. The laptop screen is the tablet. On some 2 in 1s it can be completely separated from the keyboard, while others fold back on a hinge.
You can either have a 2 in 1 that resembles a tablet with a lightweight keyboard, or one that looks and feels more like a laptop.
Check out our pick of laptops for business types, creatives and students. Each comes preinstalled with Windows 10 – Microsoft’s latest operating system.
In a nutshell: Slender, stylish and sophisticated – choose a powerful 2 in 1 that’s perfect for business
What makes a good business laptop? You want something that’s portable and powerful, with a decent keyboard and easy access to emails. Something that’s designed to work with Microsoft Office programs like Word and Excel – and is more than up to multitasking.
A lightweight 2 in 1 that doesn’t compromise on power, try slipping the Asus UX360 in your briefcase. It looks the part in a stylish aluminium finish but at just 13.9mm thin, you won’t even feel it’s there.
Computing is incredibly fast thanks to 6th Gen Intel Core M processing that’s ultra-responsive and efficient. With it you can:
- Work with fewer distractions – the fanless design means it’s much quieter than a regular laptop, even when you’re using it at full power
- Type on the full-size keyboard in laptop mode then effortlessly turn it into a touchscreen tablet using the 360-degree hinge
- Connect all your devices with a Micro HDMI, USB 3.0 and USB-C ports, and an SD card slot
- Use it all day without charging with up to 10 hours battery life
Or opt for the HP Spectre x360. It also has a 6th Gen Intel Core processor and SSD storage for working at top speed, while Bang and Olufsen speakers give you premium sound when you’re relaxing with a film or TV series. All within an ultra-slim, convertible design.
In a nutshell: Look for a top-notch laptop with enough power to run Adobe Creative Cloud, a digital pen for sketching and head-turning design
What makes a good laptop for creatives and design? Powerful processers for demanding design software are essential, while a super-sharp screen is important for working up close.
Add the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 to your setup and work with precision on the ultra-sensitive 12.3-inch touchscreen. Sketching out designs with the innovative Surface Pen will feel fluid and natural. With it you can:
- Run creative programs like Photoshop and InDesign with ease thanks to powerful 6th Gen Intel Core processing and upwards of 128GB of SSD storage – depending on which specs you go for
- See the finest detail in your designs on the Pixel Sense Display - which is even better than HD.
- Take it to meetings with clients as it weighs just 786g
- Quickly switch between laptop and tablet mode with the integrated kickstand
In a nutshell: Ultra-portable for life on campus, with the perfect compromise between power and price
What makes a good student laptop? Something that has Word for writing essays and a decent screen for watching Netflix back in halls. Storage space for all your work would be handy, as well as a decent battery life.
Great for life on the go, the HP Pavilion x360 is lightweight enough to carry around campus and has over 9 hours of battery life. Type up essays and emails on the full-sized keyboard – then flip it back to turn it into a touchscreen tablet for internet browsing. With it you can:
- Run all your programs and apps at top speed with 6th Gen Intel Core Processing
- Watch movies in comfort by switching to Tent mode – for hands-free, unsupported viewing
- And enjoy powerful sound with B&O PLAY audio
- Get 90% power in 90 minutes using fast charge
Or try the ASUS T100, which features a quad-core Atom processor for fast computing. Get online fast round campus with speedy AC WiFi built-in. Weighing just 500g in a compact, detachable design – it’s ideal for taking to lectures. And with up to 11 hours of battery life, you can leave your charger back at halls – so that’s one less thing to carry around.
Want to explore the whole range? Find your perfect 2 in 1 laptop