What 2 in 1 laptop should I buy?
Get the best of a laptop and tablet with a 2 in 1 device – but which is right for you? Here’s our pick for students, creatives and business folk…
What is a 2 in 1 laptop?
It’s a laptop that can also be used as a tablet. They’re designed to get the best from the touchscreen and mouse-and-keyboard controls of Windows 10.
Still unsure what this hybrid device is all about? Read our guide: What is a 2 in 1 laptop
Ready to see what’s on offer? Here’s our pick of laptops for business types, creatives and students. Each one comes preinstalled with Windows 10 – Microsoft’s latest operating system. Find out more about Windows 10
In a nutshell: Ultra-portable for life on campus, with the perfect compromise between power and price
What makes a good student laptop? Something that has Word for writing essays in the library and a decent screen for watching Netflix back in halls. A laptop that does things quickly, and that offers a decent battery life.
Great for life on the go, the HP Pavilion x360 is lightweight enough to carry around campus and has 10.5 hours of battery life.
Type up essays and emails on the full-sized keyboard – then flip it back to turn it into a touchscreen tablet for flicking through Facebook. With it you can:
- Work on essays and browse the web with the Intel Core i3 processor
- Watch Netflix and movies in comfort by switching to Tent mode – for hands-free, unsupported viewing
- Enjoy fast booting and quick launching of apps with SSD
- And enjoy powerful sound with Bang & Olufsen PLAY audio
Or try the Lenovo MIIX 310, which features a quad-core Atom processor for fast computing. Weighing in at 1.1 kg in a compact, detachable design – it’s ideal for taking to lectures.
And with up to 10 hours of battery life, you can leave your charger back at halls – so that’s one less thing to carry around.
In a nutshell: Look for a top-notch laptop with head-turning design, enough power to run Adobe Creative Cloud, and a digital pen for sketching
What makes a good laptop for creatives and designers? Powerful processers for demanding design software are essential. And you’ll need a super-sharp screen for working up close.
Add the Microsoft Surface Pro to your setup and work with precision on the ultra-sensitive 12.3-inch touchscreen. Sketching out designs with the innovative Surface Pen will feel fluid and natural.
With it you can:
- Run creative programs like Photoshop and InDesign with ease thanks to powerful 7th Gen Intel Core processing and SSD storage
- See the finest detail in your designs on the Quad HD display which packs in 267 pixels per inch
- Take it to meetings with clients as it weighs just 770g
- Quickly switch between laptop and tablet mode with the integrated kickstand
In a nutshell: Slender, stylish and sophisticated – choose a powerful 2 in 1 that can handle meetings, presentations, emails and reports
What makes a good business laptop? You want something that’s portable and powerful, with a decent keyboard and easy access to emails. Something that’s designed to work with Microsoft Office programs like Word and Excel – and is more than up to multitasking.
Try slipping the Lenovo Yoga 520 in your briefcase. A lightweight 2 in 1 that doesn’t compromise on power, it looks the part in a stylish aluminium finish but at just 1.75kg, you’ll barely notice it’s there.
Computing is incredibly fast thanks to the 7th Gen Intel Core processor that’s ultra-fast and responsive. With it you can:
- Present impressive presentations using the Full HD screen and Harman Audio speakers
- Type on the full-size keyboard in laptop mode then effortlessly turn it into a touchscreen tablet using the 360-degree hinge
- Charge your phone even when your laptop’s turned off thanks to the Always-On USB 3.0 port
- Use it all day without charging with up to 10 hours battery life
Or opt for the HP Spectre x360. It also has a 7th Gen Intel Core processor, as well as SSD storage for working at top speed, while Bang and Olufsen speakers give you premium sound when you’re relaxing with a film or TV series. All within an ultra-slim, convertible design.
Want to explore more? Discover our range of 2 in 1 laptops