What is a 2 in 1 laptop?
Get the best of a tablet and a laptop with a 2 in 1 device – what’s more they’re great with Windows 10. Find out more…
2 in 1s are a type of laptop that can also be used as a tablet or the same vice versa. Some models can be detached from the keyboard, while others have a screen that folds 360 degrees until it rests flush against the keyboard. 2 in 1s are ideal for Windows 10, which is built for touchscreen controls as well as the mouse and keyboard.
Do I need a laptop and a tablet?
There are times you use your laptop and times you use your tablet – why not have 1 device that does both jobs?
Laptops are great for
- Writing essays and revising for exams for the kids
- Preparing presentations and checking emails for work
- Creating spreadsheets for bills and personal finance
Tablets are great for
- Watching catch-up TV and films
- Keeping your kids entertained with games
- Online shopping and web browsing from the sofa
How to buy the best 2 in 1 for you
Get the right design – hinged or detachable?
Looks and feels like a premium laptop. You switch from laptop to tablet by swivelling the screen backwards on a hinge until it lays flat against the back of the keyboard. The screen and keyboard always remain as 1 device. The Asus UX360 is a premium aluminium laptop with a screen that can be rotated back on its 360 hinge.
More tablet than laptop, these are made up of 2 separate pieces. You start with a tablet and attach a keyboard, or you have a laptop where the screen lifts off to create a tablet.
The Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is a high-powered laptop packed into a tablet design with a magnetic keyboard (sold separately).
Where will you be using it?
Rushing between meetings? Or maybe you’re keeping the kids entertained with a film on a train journey?
Both laptop and tablet-style 2 in 1s are available in slim, lightweight designs.
- The Asus UX360 is built for life on the go – 13.9mm thin and weighing just 1.3kg. Its tough aluminium finish makes it the perfect commuting partner.
- The Surface Pro 4 is incredibly portable too. With its tablet design it’s super thin – 8.4mm. Slide it in your bag alongside your papers.
How much power do you need?
Do you plan on using your 2 in 1 for web browsing, social media and word processing? Or do you require something with enough oomph for demanding creative and business software?
The most important things to consider are:
- Processor: For everyday computing (web browsing, word processing, streaming) look at Intel Core i3. If you want to do all of this as well as use Photoshop and Excel at the same time look at Core i5.
- RAM: Your computer’s internal memory – the higher the number the more efficient. Minimum of 4GB for everyday computing, 8GB for working in Adobe apps
- SSD (solid state drive): Faster, quieter and thinner than a regular hard drive.
The Surface Pro 4 has an Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM and SSD storage for getting the best from Adobe Creative Cloud.
What about Intel Atom tablet 2 in 1s?
Some of the smaller ultra-portable detachable 2 in 1s like the Asus T 100 use the lower powered Atom processors. Fine for web browsing, social media and emailing but you will struggle with anything more demanding.
Will you be watching Netflix?
Watching movies and TV shows on your laptop is great – but clicking the mouse and using the keyboard can kill the mood. Swiping and tapping the screen is much smoother. Get the best from your box-set binge with a 2 in 1 with a high resolution screen for more detailed, immersive viewing.
The HP Spectre X360 has a rich, vibrant Quad HD screen with wide viewing angles. The laptop can be stood like an upturned V on your table for dream viewing.
What about virtual portfolios and presentations?
Whether you’re a fashion student showing off a design portfolio or a graduate looking for their first job, a 2 in 1 can be great.
The Surface Pro 4 is perfect for this. Its compact tablet design means no fiddling around with keyboards on hinges, while your designs will look great on the high-resolution screen – why not use the Surface Pen to take notes as you go?
Want to explore more? Discover our range of 2 in 1 laptops