What tablet should I buy?
Sofa surfer or home worker? Business traveller or holidaymaker? Get the best tablet for you with our handy guide
Busy mum who runs the show
In a nutshell: A high-quality tablet for everything from Netflix and Pinterest to online shopping and organising family finances
This tablet is more than just a gadget. You’ll use it to watch Netflix boxsets in bed after a hard day, to follow food bloggers on Instagram and create Pinterest boards with your family.
It’ll help you choose the right fridge/car/holiday/bank account. And you’ll fill shopping baskets with clothes you may or not buy.
And with its built-in calendar linked to your smartphone it can help you stay organised without having to leave the sofa.
What to look out for:
- Fast processor for running several apps at the same time
- Large, high-resolution screen for streaming Netflix
- Split-screen apps for showing 2 products or services you’re deciding between
- Headphone socket for when you want to take the latest boxset to bed
- Wide range of apps – from Scrabble to Netflix, Booking.com to Microsoft Word
- Compatibility with Office Apps for family finances spreadsheets in Excel
Why not try… Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
This tablet is easy to hold (Samsung’s lightest and thinnest tablet). And watching Netflix is a joy with the bright, vivid 9.7-inch screen.
It has split screen, and is powerful enough to run several apps at once. The Google Play store has plenty of apps for staying organised and chilling out.
Instagram-loving bucket-list travellers
In a nutshell: Sturdy but small tablet, with a good camera for documenting your trip on Instagram
Staying out for the summer? Whether you’re heading off the beaten track for an authentic travelling experience or chilling on a beach, don’t leave home without the right tablet.
If you like to document your travels on Instagram and Facebook, a tablet with a good camera is the easiest way of doing it.
Of course you can use it to stay in touch with home. And it’s also great for plotting out your trip – what you want to do, where you want to eat. Opt for a model with 3G to get online anywhere (don’t forget about data costs).
What to look for:
- Slim, lightweight and small for slipping in your rucksack
- Sturdy metal design to take the odd knock when you’re travelling
- Video-calling apps for speaking with friends and family
- Good camera for capturing holiday pics or documenting your travels
- Sharp-screen for watching Netflix or reading a book
Why not try… Apple iPad mini 4
This 7.9-inch tablet weighs just 299g and is encased in tough metal – perfect for carrying in your rucksack or suitcase.
Take panorama and arty time-lapse photos with one of its cameras, and selfies with the other. Easily switch between apps with the powerful A7 processor.
Netflix boxset bingers
In a nutshell: A tablet that’s all about the screen quality and not too fussed on power.
It seems like everyone has Netflix. Around 5 million UK households now subscribe to the video streaming service, and with an easy-to-use app, your tablet is a great way to watch.
Netflix has poured huge investment into making its own programmes – they’ve racked up Golden Globes and other awards and they’re visually stunning. From the sumptuous, sweeping period detail of royal drama The Crown to the retro, shadowy Stranger Things.
So you want a tablet that does it justice.
What to look out for:
- Better-than-HD screen to appreciate the filmmaking
- Built-in stand to prop up the tablet for comfort
- Good quality speakers to for atmospheric sound
- Long battery life for box-set binging
Why not try… Lenovo Yoga Tab 3
Watch movies hands-free with this 10-inch tablet thanks to its cool built-in stand. Box-set binge your way through Netflix with 18 hours’ battery life and a sharp, wide-angle screen with better than HD resolution.
And if you’re watching while cooking, you can even hang it from your utensil rack.
In a nutshell: Keep other train commuters happy with portable design that boasts laptop power
Tired of getting your laptop out on the train each morning? The person opposite looking as if to say ‘are you really going to take up the table with that laptop?’
Latest tablets combine the processing power to run your work apps with super-slim design. Leaving plenty of table space for everyone else’s lattes, smartphones and spreadsheets.
Here’s to staying productive without putting anyone out.
What to look out for:
- Microsoft Office apps for running Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Thin and lightweight design for taking up minimal space
- Slender Bluetooth keyboard option for emailing and documents
- MicroSD and Micro-USB ports for plugging in other devices and memory cards
- Fingerprint sensor for peace of mind when travelling
Why not try… Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
Sophisticated and lightweight, this tablet is perfect for business travel. A handy digital pen is designed to write like your regular ballpoint for notetaking on the train. And the lightweight, magnetic keyboard is designed for fewer typos. A superfast processor and Office for Android mean working on the go is no problem either.
Want to see more of the range? Find your perfect tablet