What tablet should I buy?
With so many tablets to choose from it can be hard to know which is right for you. Our handy guide takes you through the options…
Busy mum who runs the show
In a nutshell: A high-quality tablet for everything from Netflix and Pinterest to online shopping and organising family finances
Your tablet is more than just a gadget – it’s a lifeline that keeps you on top of the chaos of family life.
It helps answer those tricky homework questions, keep the family organised, order your weekly food shop and create Pinterest boards.
And then – when the chaos has finally calmed – lets you watch Netflix boxsets in bed after a hard day.
What to look out for:
- Fast processor for running several apps at the same time
- Large, high-resolution screen for streaming Netflix
- Headphone socket for taking your boxset to bed
- Wide range of apps – from TripAdvisor to Excel
Why not try… Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Slim and lightweight, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is a smooth multi-tasker.
Netflix is a joy on the crisp and vivid AMOLED screen and you’ll find all your favourite apps in the Google Play Store.
And you’ll be able to download lots of them – its fast processor lets you run multiple apps smoothly. You can even view and edit Word and Excel docs with Office for Android.
Creative professionals and design students
In a nutshell: A big screen to show off your big designs, and the power to run demanding design software
You’re an artist, animator, designer, photographer or video editor. What you need from your tablet differs from the average person.
Working in apps like Abode Photoshop and Illustrator make screen quality and size crucial for starters.
Look out for:
- Large 10 or 12-inch screen with a high resolution and enhanced brightness
- Digital stylus for sketching and designing directly on the screen
- As much processing power as a high-end laptop
- Compatibility with Adobe Creative Cloud and other design software
Why not try… iPad Pro
The iPad Pro is a creative’s dream. It’s more powerful than most PC laptops and Adobe has optimised the Creative Cloud to get the best from it.
Artists will love the Apple Pencil stylus (sold separately) for its pressure sensitivity and overall feel.
The 10.5-inch screen – 20% bigger than the 9.7-inch model – delivers rich colours and texture through its combination of high resolution and enhanced brightness.
Instagram-loving bucket-list travellers
In a nutshell: Sturdy but small tablet, with a good camera for documenting your trip on Instagram
Whether heading off the beaten track or chilling on a beach you’ll want to share your travels with friends on Instagram – so don’t leave home without the right tablet.
Getting a tablet with a good camera is a must. And opt for something with plenty of storage – so you don’t have to worry about making space for that special shot.
What to look for:
- Small and light but shock-resistant for life in your rucksack
- Plenty of storage for holding plenty of videos and your holiday reading
- Rear and front cameras for capturing holiday pics or documenting your travels
- Sharp-screen with over 2 million pixels your favourite blockbusters have never looked better
Why not try… Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet with Alexa
This 10.1-inch tablet is nimble and sturdy, so it’ll cope well in your backpack. It also has hands-free Alexa built in, to help make your trip as straight-forward as possible.
And thanks to its powerful MediaTek MT8173 processor you can access all of your favourite apps easily.
Netflix boxset bingers
In a nutshell: A tablet that’s all about the screen quality and not too fussed on power
With 5 million UK subscribers it seems everyone has Netflix. And it's no surprise given the huge investment its poured into making award-winning and visually stunning shows.
Thanks to its easy-to-use app your tablet is a great way to watch. Catch up on royal period drama The Crown or the retro and shadowy Stranger Things wherever and whenever suits you.
You’ll want a tablet that does it justice.
What to look out for:
- Better-than-HD screen to appreciate the filmmaking
- Built-in stand to prop up the tablet for comfort
- Good quality speakers to for atmospheric sound
- Long battery life for box-set binging
Why not try… Lenovo Yoga Tab 3
Watch movies hands-free with this 10-inch tablet thanks to its cool built-in stand. Watching while cooking? You can even hang it from your utensil rack.
Box-set binge your way through Netflix with 18 hours’ battery life and sharp, wide-angle screen with better than HD resolution.
In a nutshell: Keep other train commuters happy with portable design that boasts laptop power
Tired of disgruntled looks from fellow commuters as you plonk your bulky laptop on the table on the early morning train?
Well the latest tablets combine the processing power to run your work apps with super-slim design. Leaving plenty of table space for everyone else’s lattes, smartphones and spreadsheets.
What to look out for:
- Microsoft Office apps for running Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Thin and lightweight design for taking up minimal space
- Slender Bluetooth keyboard option for emailing and documents
- MicroSD and Micro-USB ports for plugging in other devices and memory cards
- Fingerprint sensor for peace of mind when travelling
Why not try… Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
Sophisticated and lightweight, this tablet is perfect for business travel.
A handy digital pen writes like your regular ballpoint for easy notetaking. And the lightweight magnetic keyboard is designed for fewer typos.
A superfast processor and Office for Android mean working on the go is no problem either.