What tablet should I buy?
From busy mums who run the show to Instagram-loving travellers. Adobe-savvy creatives to workaholic rail commuters. Find your perfect tablet…
Busy mum who runs the show
In a nutshell: A high-quality tablet for everything from Netflix and Pinterest to online shopping and organising family finances
A tablet is more than just a gadget. You’ll use it to watch Netflix boxsets in bed after a hard day, to follow food bloggers on Instagram and create Pinterest boards with your family.
It’ll help you choose the right fridge or holiday, keep you updated on your favourite TV shows, and you’ll use its calendar to keep the family organised.
What to look out for:
- Fast processor for running several apps at the same time
- Large, high-resolution screen for streaming Netflix
- Digital pen for jotting down notes and shopping lists
- Headphone socket for when you want to take the latest boxset to bed
- Wide range of apps – from Scrabble to Netflix, Booking.com to Microsoft Word
- Compatibility with Office Apps for family finances spreadsheets in Excel
Why not try… Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
This slim and lightweight tablet is a smooth multi-tasker. Netflix is a joy on the crisp and vivid AMOLED screen.
And a world of your favourite apps awaits at the Google Play Store. Run multiple apps smoothly with the fast processor, and view and edit Word and Excel docs with Office for Android.
Creative professionals and design students
In a nutshell: Big screen to showcase your projects and the power to run demanding design software
You’re an artist, animator, designer, photographer or video editor. What you need from your tablet differs from the average person.
Working in apps like Abode Photoshop and Illustrator make screen quality and size crucial for starters.
Look out for:
- Large 10 or 12-inch screen with a high resolution and enhanced brightness
- Digital stylus for sketching and designing directly on the screen
- As much processing power as a high-end laptop
- Compatibility with Adobe Creative Cloud and other design software
Why not try… iPad Pro
The iPad Pro is a creative’s dream. It’s more powerful than most PC laptops, and Adobe has optimised Creative Cloud to get the best from it.
Its Apple Pencil stylus (sold separately) is loved by artists for its pressure sensitivity and overall feel. The 10.5-inch screen (20% larger than the 9.7-inch model) delivers rich colours and texture through its combination of high resolution and enhanced brightness.
Instagram-loving bucket-list travellers
In a nutshell: Sturdy but small tablet, with a good camera for documenting your trip on Instagram
Staying out for the summer? Whether you’re heading off the beaten track for an authentic travelling experience or chilling on a beach, don’t leave home without the right tablet.
If you like to document your travels on Instagram, a tablet with a good camera is a must. And if you’re away for a long time, staying in touch with loved ones is a big deal. Opt for a model with 3G to get online anywhere (don’t forget about data costs).
What to look for:
- Small and light but sturdy for life in your rucksack on the road
- Video-calling apps for speaking with friends and family
- Good camera for capturing holiday pics or documenting your travels
- Sharp-screen for watching Netflix or reading a book
Why not try… Apple iPad mini 4
This 7.9-inch tablet weighs just 299g and is encased in tough metal – perfect for carrying in your rucksack or suitcase.
Take panorama and arty time-lapse photos with one of its cameras, and selfies with the other. Easily switch between apps with the powerful A7 processor.
Netflix boxset bingers
In a nutshell: A tablet that’s all about the screen quality and not too fussed on power.
It seems like everyone has Netflix (there are 5 million UK subscribers). And with an easy-to-use app, your tablet is a great way to watch.
Netflix has poured huge investment into making its own award-winning and visually stunning shows. From the sumptuous period detail of royal drama The Crown to the retro, shadowy Stranger Things. So you want a tablet that can do it justice.
What to look out for:
- Better-than-HD screen to appreciate the filmmaking
- Built-in stand to prop up the tablet for comfort
- Good quality speakers to for atmospheric sound
- Long battery life for box-set binging
Why not try… Lenovo Yoga Tab 3
Watch movies hands-free with this 10-inch tablet thanks to its cool built-in stand. Box-set binge your way through Netflix with 18 hours’ battery life and a sharp, wide-angle screen with better than HD resolution.
And if you’re watching while cooking, you can even hang it from your utensil rack.
In a nutshell: Keep other train commuters happy with portable design that boasts laptop power
Tired of disgruntled looks from fellow commuters as you plonk your bulky laptop on the table on the early morning train?
The latest tablets combine the processing power to run your work apps with super-slim design. Leaving plenty of table space for everyone else’s lattes, smartphones and spreadsheets.
Here’s to staying productive without putting anyone out.
What to look out for:
- Microsoft Office apps for running Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Thin and lightweight design for taking up minimal space
- Slender Bluetooth keyboard option for emailing and documents
- MicroSD and Micro-USB ports for plugging in other devices and memory cards
- Fingerprint sensor for peace of mind when travelling
Why not try… Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
Sophisticated and lightweight, this tablet is perfect for business travel. A handy digital pen writes like your regular ballpoint for easy note-taking.
And the lightweight, magnetic keyboard is designed for fewer typos. A superfast processor and Office for Android mean working on the go is no problem either.
Want to see more of the range? Find your perfect tablet