Banish January blues with tech for staying in
It may be cold and dark outside, but that doesn’t mean you have to succumb to the January blues. We show you how to make the most of staying in…
Getting through January is no easy feat. With Christmas now just a distant memory and the summer still months away, it feels like the dreary winter days are never ending.
Rather than letting it get you down, make the most of the long evenings by settling down for a cosy night in.
We’ll show you how to create a living room set-up that’s worth staying in for.
Staying in essentials
- Onesie, thick socks, comfy knitwear
- Blankets and pillows
- TV series or movies
- Relaxing scented candles
Binge-watch Netflix in bed
Snuggle up under the sheets with a TV marathon. Now is the perfect time to get hooked on a Netflix series without feeling guilty about staying hauled up indoors for hours on end.
If you haven’t seen Making a Murderer yet, it’s already become one of Netflix’s most talked-about shows. It follows the real-life trial of convicted murderer Steven Avery and makes for gripping viewing.
Or catch up on a classic Netflix Originals like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black ahead of the new series set for release this year.
You’ll want a tablet with a decent screen for watching shows in top quality. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is a good choice as it has a large 9.7-inch screen. With it you can:
- view TV content in HD on the Super AMOLED screen – it’s much brighter and clearer than regular tablet screens
- avoid aching arms as it’s super-lightweight
- keep hold of all your films and series with 32GB of storage
Load up on snacks
Forget January diets, winter is all about indulging in comfort foods.
When planning a night in, it’s important to stock up on snacks. With a few bits of kitchen tech, you’re not just limited to what you can pick up on a last-minute dash to your local supermarket.
We all know homemade is better than shop bought. You can use your blender to make healthy treats like almond butter or guilt-free, low-sugar banana ice cream.
Not just for juicing, the Nutribullet is great for blending sweet and savoury foods. With it you can:
- blend grains, herbs and nuts – the blades are tough enough to break them up, fast
- pre-prepare snacks and store them for later in the resalable cups
- easily clean it when you’re done – the cups and accessories are all dishwasher-safe
Or if you’re feeling indulgent, whip up some decadent cakes – Mary Berry-style. A good mixer will take the hard work out of baking, so you can spend less time folding flour and sugar into the bowl, and more time tasting your creations.
For a stylish mixer that makes light work of baking, try the Morphy Richards 400010 Stand Mixer. Use it to:
- mix a range of doughs and batters in a flash using the six different speed settings
- avoid messy counter tops thanks to the dust-cover and splash guard
- batch bake with a 5-litre capacity bowl
Fix yourself a hot drink
It sorts out your morning caffeine fix, but did you know that your coffee machine can also be used for making warming hot chocolates?
For added luxury, spray on some whipped cream and sprinkle some marshmallows over yours.
If you’re more serious about coffee, why not try one of the different settings like a smooth cappuccino or mocha? Rather than trudging out to the coffee shop, invite your friends round for a catch-up and you won’t even have to leave the house to get the gossip.
With a built-in milk frother, the Nespresso Inissia Coffee Machine is great for making cosy drinks. With it you can:
- Brew drinks in seconds
- Choose from different flavours – for coffee shop quality macchiatos and Americanos
- Make tall lattes or dinky espressos by programming it to match the size of your cup