Essential holiday tech – from beach bum to city breaker
Find the perfect gadgets for your summer holiday; from cutting-edge cameras and waterproof speakers to travel-size iPads.
Whether among the piazzas of Florence or the bustling markets of Istanbul all city breaks have a few things in common. Amazing sights to see, miles of streets to roam, superb restaurants to eat at and, of course, the opportunity to get lost.
Get the best from your city break with our top 3 gadgets for urban explorers.
1. Portable but powerful camera
Great travel companions and a fantastic smartphone step-up, mirrorless cameras are the middle ground between the professional DSLR and point-and-shoot compact.
They offer excellent image quality and greater control but in a much smaller body. They can be smaller because unlike a DSLR, they don’t use bulky mirrors to capture an image.
The Sony a5000 is a great option:
- Enjoy DSLR-like image quality with the large CMOS sensor
- Small and light – comfortably slips into your pocket
- Built-in Wi-Fi for sharing pictures on Facebook
- Easy to get started – perfect step-up from smartphone
2. iPad mini
Want to find and book reservations for that raved-about restaurant, or keep yourself entertained on long journeys? The iPad mini is perfectly pocket-sized for researching and catch up on TV on the go.
The iPad mini 4 is a great option:
- Even thinner and lighter (6.1mm/299g)
- Travel-friendly for keeping up to date on Facebook
- No compromise on TV quality with a pixel-packed Retina screen
- Sophisticated camera for snapping pics and fast processor for photo editing
3. Fitness band
The best way to see everything is by walking, and the best way to track all your steps is with a fitness band – plus it reassures you that you do deserve that ice cream sundae.
The Fitbit Alta is a great option:
- Record all your steps, calories, miles and other metrics
- OLED screen that gives you at-a-glance progress updates
- On-screen notifications from your smartphone
- Slim and comfortable design – splash-proof too
There’s no arguing that soaking up the sun on a beautiful beach is one of the best ways to relax whether you’re a sunbather, sea paddler, sand sculptor or volleyball champ.
Get the best from your beach holiday with our top 3 gadgets.
1. Kindle e-reader
E-readers are much handier than packing your suitcase with a stack of books, so you can lose yourself in the latest bestseller while topping up your tan.
The Kindle Paperwhite is a great option:
- Thinner and lighter than a paperback
- Can hold thousands of books
- Display reads like paper with no screen glare when reading in the sun
- Battery life of 6 weeks
2. Portable speaker
Take the party poolside or onto the beach with a portable speaker.
The UE Wonderboom is a great option:
- 10-hours of battery life for all-day beach parties
- 360 degrees of sound with similar size and shape to a mug
- It floats and is waterproof for 30 minutes
- Drop-proof from up to 5ft
- Works up to 100 feet away from a Bluetooth source
- Pair with another Wonderboom to double up on sound
Want to explore some more options? Find out which portable speaker is right for you.
3. Waterproof action camera
Hit the waves and never miss a minute of the action with a waterproof action cam.
The Go Pro Hero Session is a great option:
- POV video capture – record yourself surf or body board with the camera attached to your board
- Waterproof (10m depth) out of the box – no need for a separate case
- Simple set up –start shooting at push of button
- Create arty, slow-mo videos with high frame-rate recording
- Snap still pictures as well as HD video