Essential holiday tech – from beach bum to city breaker
Find the perfect gadgets for your perfect holiday… From cutting-edge cameras and waterproof speakers to travel-size iPads.
Whether among the piazzas of Florence or the bustling markets of Istanbul all city breaks have a few things in common. Amazing sights to see, miles of streets to roam, superb restaurants to eat at and, of course, the opportunity to get lost.
So what gadgets help you get the best from your city break?
1. Compact system camera
Capture all of the memories of your break with a compact system camera. They make great travel companions – combining excellent picture quality with lightweight design ensuring you’ll never miss a photo op.
The Sony a5000 is a great option:
- Enjoy DSLR-like image quality with the large CMOS sensor
- Small and light – comfortably slips into your pocket
- Built-in Wi-Fi for sharing pictures on Facebook
- Easy to get started – perfect step-up from smartphone
2. iPad mini
Want to find and book reservations for that Michelin starred restaurant or marvel at the Monet at the museum? Find all of the best places to visit on an iPad mini – it’s perfectly pocket-sized for on the go.
The iPad mini 4 is a great option:
- Even thinner and lighter (6.1mm/299g)
- Travel-friendly web surfing/Facebook
- Pixel-packed Retina screen for watching movies
- Fast processor for editing photos
- Perfect travel pics with sophisticated camera/viewfinder
3. Fitness band
Track all of the miles you’ll walk on your city break by wearing a fitness band - go on and have the dessert you’ve earned it.
The Fitbit Alta is a great option:
- Record your steps, calories, miles and other metrics
- OLED screen for at-a-glance progress updates
- On-screen notifications from your smartphone
- Slim and comfortable design – splash-proof too
Whether sprawled across the sand or frolicking in the water, the beach holiday is all about fun and relaxation.
So which gadgets help you get the best from your beach break?
1. Kindle e-reader
Lose yourself in the latest bestseller while at the beach – and an e-reader is handier than books.
The Kindle Paperwhite is a great option:
- Thinner and lighter than a paperback
- Can hold thousands of books – flit between beach-reads Display reads like paper
- No screen glare when reading in the sun
- Battery life of 6 weeks – leave your charger at home
2. Portable speaker
Take the party poolside or onto the beach with a portable speaker.
The UE Boom 2 is a great option:
- Waterproof for 30 minutes in depths of up to 1 metre
- Cylindrical shape that fits easily in a beach bag
- Stand speaker upright for 360° sound
- 25% louder than its predecessor
- 15-hours of battery life for all-day beach parties
Want to explore some more options? Find out which portable speaker is right for you.
3. Waterproof action camera
Hit the waves while recording memories at the same time with an action camera.
The Go Pro Hero Session is a great option:
- POV video capture – record yourself surf or body board with the camera attached to your board
- Waterproof (10m depth) out of the box – no need for a separate case
- Simple set up –start shooting at push of button
- Create arty, slow-mo videos with high frame-rate recording
- Snap still pictures as well as HD video