5 fitness apps to keep up your resolutions
Our pick of best fitness apps to help you keep up your New Year health kick…
If you’re looking to get fitter this year, there are loads of apps for your fitness band, tablet and smartphone that can help you stay on track. Here are a few of the best.
1. 30 day Fit Challenge
Challenge yourself to get fit in 30 days with this fun app.
- Avoid boredom by trying a new challenge every day
- Target different areas with challenges for squats, abs, bodyweight and push ups
- Watch your strength build up as the number of reps increases and it gets harder every day
- Track your progress and share with friends on Facebook when you successfully complete a challenge
2. Apple health
For a full picture of your health and fitness levels, Apple Health brings together data from different fitness apps on your phone.
- Easy to access stats – open it up for a dashboard of all your health and fitness data
- Get an in-depth overview of your health with heart rate, calories burned, blood sugar and cholesterol monitoring
- Customise it with the stats you want to monitor and see graphs mapping your health over time
- Use it with your fitness tracker to monitor any activity you do during the day
- Comes pre-installed on all Apple devices running iOS 9
Try using it with the Misfit Ray fitness and sleep tracker. The Misfit app for iOS syncs with Apple Health via Bluetooth. With up to 4 months’ battery life, you won’t need to worry about recharging – it’ll capture all of your activities, however you enjoy working out.
With Misfit Ray you can:
- Track steps taken, distance travelled and calories burned
- Monitor your sleep cycle
- Tag and track specific activities like yoga
- See your progress with multicolour LED lights that change colour the closer you get to reaching your goals
- Take it to the pool to measure your swim
- Control lights and music by connecting it to your smart home tech
- Stay connected with vibration alerts for call and text notifications
4. Calorie Counter – My Fitness Pal
If you want get a better understanding of your overall health with a fitness band, My Fitness Pal is the perfect accompaniment.
- Keep track of the calories in your meals with over 5 million items listed on the food database
- Get accurate feedback on how healthy your diet is and where there’s room for improvement
- See how many calories you’re burning by syncing it with your fitness band to log any exercise you do
- Set targets and receive personalised recommendations about how to meet them
The Fitbit Charge 2 is a great match. Link it to your Fitbit account to exchange data about the calories you burn in a day. You can wear the slim band 24/7 thanks to the subtle design – it’s even splashproof so you can wear it in all weather.
With the Fitbit Carge 2 you can also:
- Monitor a variety of activity types – from weights and running to yoga and cycling.
- Get real-time stats and track your running distance by pairing with your smartphone GPS
- Keep up to date with calls and texts with smartphone alerts direct from your Fitbit
- Wind down after workouts or before a yoga session with personalised guided breathing sessions
- Stay motivated – earn badges for daily, weekly and lifetime achievements
- Check your real time heart rate and check instantly if you need to up the intensity or slow down a little.
5. Map My Run
Got the running bug? You can track your running route and see how far you travel with GPS on your smartwatch.
- Works with your smartwatch to log stats about your workout – like calories burned, pace, route and distance.
- See your improvement over time by drawing up graphs mapping your progress
- Or use it to log different workouts like cycling, walking, gym workouts and yoga
- Compare your progress with friends on the activity feed or share your new personal best on Facebook