5 fitness apps to keep up your resolutions
There are heaps of smartphone apps designed to help you keep your fitness goals on track, but which one is right for you?
Smartphone apps are making it easier than ever to keep up your training regime or new healthy diet. Armed with the right app…
- Runners can collect serious data about their performance
- Dieters can track calories and exercise plus find moral support
- Gym bunnies can hone beach bods without leaving the house
But which app is right for you?
1. Runner training for first marathon
App: Map My Run
Training for your first marathon or 10K? Set a personal training plan tailored to the distance and your fitness with Map My Run. You can also find new routes in your local area, recommended by other runners.
- Track distance covered, route taken, pace and calories burned
- Choose training plans like 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Full Marathon
- See your improvement over time by drawing up graphs to map your progress
- Compare your progress with friends on the activity feed or share your new PB on Facebook
2. Want to lose weight?
App: My Fitness Pal
Millions of Britons go on diets every year, but with waning willpower, snack-happy weekends and fast-paced modern life, it can be hard to stay on track. My Fitness Pal makes calorie counting super-easy by scanning food packets with your smartphone.
- Find calories of over 5 million items on the food database
- Scan the barcodes of most packaged foods for even faster calorie counting
- Set targets and receive personalised recommendations about how to meet them
- Enter your weight and see how it changes over time
- See how many calories you’re burning by syncing it with your fitness band to log any exercise you do
The Fitbit Charge 2 fitness band is a great match - just link it to your Fitbit account to keep track of your fitness data each day.
You can wear the slim band 24/7 thanks to its sleek design, and its in-built silent alarm means your partner will thank you for not waking them up when you rise at the crack of dawn to train. It’s even water resistant, so you can wear it in the shower.
3. You’re working to a deadline
Ever made a bet with a friend that you’ll stick to your goals? If the prospect of losing face (and money!) motivates you to improve, this app will have you smashing your targets in no time. Pact lets you earn actual cash for staying active, paid for by members who don’t.
- Decide how you want to achieve your goal - be it eating healthier, exercising more, or both
- Commit to weekly pacts designed to help you hit your target one step at a time
- Track your progress with food and activity logs
- Reap the rewards with a cash incentive, so you can give yourself a special treat as well as a pat on the back
4. You want to make long-term lifestyle changes
App: Nokia Health Mate
If you’re less about a quick-fix and looking instead to make some sustainable changes to your health and lifestyle, you need an app that tracks every aspect of your progress over time.
- Easy to access stats – open it up for a dashboard of all your health and fitness data
- Get an in-depth overview of your health from every angle with activity tracking, heart rate monitoring, sleep analysis and weight management
- Reach your goals faster with in-app coaching and wellness programs to keep you motivated
- Pair it with compatible devices for 360-health management
Try using Health Mate with the Nokia Body Cardio WBS04 Heart Health & Body Composition Smart Scale, a device that pairs with your smartphone to give detailed data on your body weight and mass. When it comes to your health, you need to be monitoring far more than just your weight, and this app and device let you do exactly that.
5. You’re too busy to work out and eat healthily
App: 7 Minute Workout
Modern life is busy. Work, family, commuting and entertaining means that you’ll often struggle to find the time for the gym or to plan healthy eating regimes. Combat this with 7 Minute Workout – you won’t even need any equipment.
- Set it up on your smartphone or tablet and follow the video guides to ensure you do each exercise properly
- Work your whole body – every workout combines 12 exercises that target abs, legs and arms
- For an effective high-intensity workout, do 30 seconds of each exercise with 10 seconds’ rest in between for 7 minutes
- Customise your duration, rest time and number of sets to get the best results