Get fighting fit for summer with the right tech
Whether you’re starting a new regime or looking to amp up your existing technique, our pick of smart tech will give you boost in time for summer
Want to get in shape for the summer? Fitness tech can make a great addition to your routine.
These gadgets are worn on your wrist and collect data on your activity – which you can use to stay motivated and improve your technique. Here’s how to choose the right fitness tech for you.
In a nutshell: Looking for a tracker that can monitor everything from sleep to activities and sport? Go for one with plenty of different functions
Go for a tracker you can wear 24/7, like the Misfit Ray. You can get accurate monitoring of any activity you do; from the steps you take walking to work to a sweat-inducing session at the gym.
It tracks steps taken, distance covered and calories burned – all in a slim, attractive design – it looks more like jewellery than a piece of tech
The Misfit Ray lets you:
- Record all kinds of activity – from tennis to cycling and yoga. The design is waterproof up to 50m, so you can even take it swimming
- Improve the quality of your sleep with the built-in sleep tracker. Record how much rest you’re getting and set targets to improve it
- Keep on top of calls and texts with vibrations that alert you when someone is trying to contact you.
Improve everyday health
In a nutshell: Be more active day-to-day by using fitness tech to monitor and increase the amount of exercise you do
Your fitness tracker can help you change your habits by monitoring your progress and setting goals to increase your daily activity.
Use the Garmin Vivofit 3 to track your activity – then set achievable goals based on it. These adjust every time you reach your target so you’re always improving your fitness.
With the Garmin Vivofit 3 it you can:
- Monitor different activities like walking, running, cycling and swimming – and record them with the built-in timer
- Stay active with gentle reminders when you’ve been sitting down for too long
- Wear it 24/7 without charging, even in the shower – with one-year battery life
- See your fitness data in detail on the Garmin Connect app – your tracker automatically syncs with your smartphone
In a nutshell: You’re already a gym buff but you’ve hit a slump in your regime. Use a tracker with a built-in heart rate monitor to take your workouts to the next level
A heart rate monitor can improve your training by showing you how hard you’re working during exercise. Maintain intensity during your workouts with the Fitbit Blaze, which has a built-in heart rate monitor. Check your heart rate at a glance and adjust the amount of effort you’re putting in to get the best results.
With the Fitbit Blaze you can:
- Use it for different types of workout – from cardio and weights, to HIIT intervals and yoga. It can automatically recognise when you’re exercising and start tracking
- Record your running or cycling route with GPS tracking – and get stats on run time, distance, pace and elevation
- Chart your training on the Fitbit app for more detailed graphs and charts of your progress
- Enjoy a distraction-free workout – sync it with your smartphone and control your gym playlist from your wrist
Everyday fitness tracking
In a nutshell: A lightweight tracker you can wear all of the time - whether you're running cross-country or swimming lengths.
Polar know their onions when it comes to fitness tech. They’ve been making the stuff for decades, and this experience shows with the Polar Loop 2.
Ideal for helping you get fitter this year, this fitness tracker is lightweight (38 grams) and waterproof so you can even wear it when you shower.
With it you can:
- Use it while swimming – it’s waterproof up to 20 metres so you can wear without worry
- Get a smartphone nudge to get moving again when you’ve been sedentary too long
- See how active you’ve been throughout the day – the 85 red LEDs light up to show your progress
- Track your activity with 5 different activity settings designed to let you know how hard you’ve worked
- Enjoy the perfect fit using the wrist sizing tape and scissors – cut to your wrist size
For both design and performance
In a nutshell: The fitness tracker that looks and feels like you’re wearing a watch, but has lots of useful smart features
This award-winning fitness tracker has the looks and features to impress. Lasting up to 25 days on a single charge, you can count on the Withings Steel HR mile after mile. Plus it’s water resistant up to 50 metres so you can go from the treadmill to the pool without the need to take it off.
With it you can:
- Track your heart rate throughout the day and night – ideal for truly understanding your heart health
- Automatically track what type of activity you’re doing – checking at a glance how active you’ve been all day
- Look stylish when you’re not working out with the stainless steel case and black matte wristband
- Feel like you’ve got a personal trainer thanks to the Health Mate app that helps you set goals and stay motivated