Get fighting fit for summer with the right tech
Whether you’re starting a new regime or looking to amp up your existing technique, our pick of smart tech will give you boost in time for summer
Want to get in shape for the summer? Fitness tech can make all the difference to your routine.
Want to get in shape for the summer? This wearable tech collects data on your activity – which you can use to stay motivated and improve your technique. Here’s how to choose the right fitness tech for you.
Training for a marathon
In a nutshell: Ensure you’re ready (as you’ll ever be) for your next ultra-challenge with a running watch
Counting down the days and weeks ‘til that marathon you signed up for months ago? You can get more from your training in the run up to an event with a GPS running watch. A running watch looks like a regular watch but is packed with features to help you better understand and improve your performance.
The Garmin Forerunner 235 is a great option for serious training sessions. With it you can:
- Set tailored training plans to suit your half marathon or full marathon distance
- Record the distance you have covered and at what pace – simply by hitting the start button
- Monitor your heart rate to tweak your pace and optimise your training
- Follow your training plan and chart your progress on the Garmin Connect smartphone app
In a nutshell: Like the idea of getting fitter but struggle with motivation? A fitness tracker can help keep you on track
Go for a tracker you can wear 24/7 to get accurate monitoring of any activity you do. From the steps you take walking to work, to a sweat-inducing session at the gym. The Fitbit Alta is a good choice. It tracks steps taken, distance covered and calories burned – all in a slim design you can slip on your wrist and forget it’s there. With it you can:
- Set daily goals like steps taken or active minutes per hour to keep you motivated
- Improve the quality of your sleep with the built-in sleep tracker. Record how much rest you’re getting and set targets to improve it
- Automatically log any exercise you do with Smart Track – so you won’t need to program it to start recording when you’re at the gy
- Sync fitness data with your smartphone using the Fitbit app and see graphs mapping your progress over time
In a nutshell: You’re already a gym buff but you’ve hit a slump in your regime. Use a tracker with a built-in heart rate monitor to take your workouts to the next level
A heart rate monitor can improve your training by showing you how hard you’re working during exercise. Maintain intensity during your workouts with the Fitbit Blaze, which has a built-in heart rate monitor. Check your heart rate at a glance and adjust the amount of effort you’re putting in to get the best results.
With the Fitbit Blaze you can:
- Use it for different types of workout – from cardio and weights, to HIIT classes and yoga. It can automatically recognise when you’re exercising and start tracking
- Record your running or cycling route with GPS tracking – and get stats on run time, distance, pace and elevation
- Chart your training on the Fitbit app for more detailed graphs and charts of your progress
- Enjoy a distraction-free workout – sync it with your smartphone and control your gym playlist from your wrist
Everyday fitness tracking
In a nutshell: A lightweight tracker you can wear all of the time - whether you're running cross-country or swimming lengths.
Polar know their stuff when it comes to fitness tech. They’ve been developing this kind of technology for decades, and this experience shows with the Polar Loop 2.
Ideal for helping you get fitter this year, this fitness tracker is lightweight (38 grams) and waterproof so you can even wear it when you shower.
With it you can:
- Use it while swimming – it’s waterproof up to 20 metres so you can wear without worry
- Get a smartphone nudge to get moving again when you’ve been sedentary too long
- See how active you’ve been throughout the day – the 85 red LEDs light up to show your progress
- Track your activity with 5 different activity settings designed to let you know how hard you’ve worked
- Enjoy the perfect fit using the wrist sizing tape and scissors – cut to your wrist size
For both design and performance
In a nutshell: The fitness tracker that looks and feels like you’re wearing a watch, but has lots of useful smart features
This award-winning fitness tracker has the looks and features to impress. Lasting up to 25 days on a single charge, you can count on the Withings Steel HR mile after mile. Plus it’s water resistant up to 50 metres so you can go from the treadmill to the pool without the need to take it off.
With it you can:
- Track your heart rate throughout the day and night – ideal for truly understanding your heart health
- Automatically track what type of activity you’re doing – checking at a glance how active you’ve been all day
- Look stylish when you’re not working out with the stainless steel case and black matte wristband
- Feel like you’ve got a personal trainer thanks to the Health Mate app that helps you set goals and stay motivated