Which smartwatch should I buy?
Smartwatches are great for staying connected without having to dig out your phone – some even have fitness tracking. Let us help you find the perfect one…
Before buying a smartwatch, consider your:
- Current smartphone: Whether Android or Apple, you need a watch that’s compatible
- Look and style: Smartwatches come in all shapes and sizes – choose one that fits your look
- Everyday needs: What type of fitness tracking do you want? Contactless payments? Music storage?
A smartphone extension and workout partner
In a nutshell: For iPhone and Android users, the new Fitbit Versa is a great option
If you do everything on your smartphone, you’ll love the latest addition to the Fitbit family, the Versa.
Whenever you get a message, call or email, you’ll get a gentle tap on your wrist. And your favourite apps sync too.
Think of it as a handy personal organiser that can also help you keep fit.
With it you can…
- Track your run, bike ride or swim with your phone’s GPS to record distance, speed and pace
- Get personalised on-screen workouts and discover your cardio fitness level
- Track your monthly cycle to gauge ovulation and log your menstrual health
- Go without charging for longer – with four-day battery life
- Store over 300 songs to keep you motivated during walks to work or running on the treadmill
- Pay for your lunch by scanning your watch with contactless payment
For serious fitness tracking
In a nutshell: The Garmin vivoactive 3 is a funky and functional smartwatch that’s perfect for the fitness junky
This robust and durable smart sports watch has all your fitness needs covered, while keeping you connected.
With it you can…
- Get notifications, read emails and texts, control your music and even find your phone if you’ve misplaced it
- Stay active with one of the 15 pre-loaded sports apps – including cycling, running, golf and paddle boarding
- Track your route, distance and speed with built-in GPS
- Customise workouts – plus monitor sleep, heartrate and stress levels
- Make payments from your wrist with Garmin PayTM Ready
- Simply swipe through menus and app with the easy-to-see full colour Chroma display
- Download faces, apps and widgets for a personalised smartwatch
Compatible with iOS and Android.
Smart technology in a stylish watch
In a nutshell: Like the idea of a smartwatch but put off by the style? The Michael Kors Access range could be the answer
Michael Kors Access combines fashion and function with a range of colours and finishes to choose from. Including the Sofie watch in Rose Gold and Grayson model in Blue.
But beneath their elegant façade lies seriously smart technology. You can:
- Get text, call and email notifications straight to your wrist
- Use voice command to find out the weather, get directions or ask for diary reminders thanks to built-in Google Assistant
- Sync to your smartphone and use it to control your music
- Customise its AMOLED display so all your favourite features are just a tap away
- Wear it in the shower or the pool – water resistant
- Monitor your heart rate, steps and distance run with Google Fit
The watches run on Android Wear but workwith both Android and iPhones.
For training for a marathon
In a nutshell: The Samsung Gear S3 has the look of a traditional watch but tracks your training regime
You have big plans to take part in a marathon and want to invest in a piece of high-end kit used by elite athletes. The Samsung Gear S3 can help push you to new heights.
With it you can…
- Personalise your training with over 60 on-screen workouts
- Check when you’re exercising at different intensity levels with 24/7 heart rate monitoring
- Map your route and gradually extend the distance with built-in GPS
- Stream playlists from Spotify so you can listen to your favourite music on your run
- Receive and make calls from your wrist while your phone stays in your pocket
Smartwatch tech without the hefty price tag
In a nutshell: A new addition to the world of smartwatches – and a great entry level model for smartwatch newbies
A newcomer to the scene, the Misfit Vapor comes with all the wearable fitness tracker tech and unique styling associated with the Misfit brand – but with the added benefit of smartwatch capabilities.
This watch won't break the bank, but it will…
- Give you on-display call, email, text and app notifications
- Keep you organised with inbuilt Google Assistant – simply say “Ok Google” and ask for the weather, directions and more
- Stay water resistant to 50m – wear it in the shower or take it in the pool
- Keep you focused with a daily activity points score
- Track activity – like running, cycling and swimming– with the Misfit Activity app
- Store 4GB of music to keep you motivated while you work out
To top it off it’s stylish too. You can tailor your look with interchangeable bracelets (sold separately) and customise the minimalist display with the Android Wear app.
Compatible with Android and iOS devices.