Bite-size guide to Apple’s latest iPhones - the 5C and 5S
Want to know the key points of each of Apple´s new iPhones? Check out our bullet-point guide for the lowdown in seconds...
Everyone and his uncle knows Apple has launched two new iPhones, but how much do you actually know about what they do?
The tech giant unveiled a budget iPhone - the 5C - and the flagship 5S model on Tuesday. The story was everywhere: TV news, websites, social media and in this morning's papers.
Thousands and thousands of words on the new phones were bashed out into the wee small hours, but wading through the tsunami of breathless hyperbole can be daunting. So we decided to separate the wheat from the chaff so you don't have to.
Rolling up our sleeves and taking a deep breath, we condensed the masses of information into bullet points covering the key facts for each phone. After all sometimes you just want to know the facts, right? And here they are, laid bare - et voila.
The iPhone 5S - the one with the groovy fingerprint scanner
Apple reckons the iPhone 5S is the "most forward-thinking smartphone in the world" - here are the key points.
- An 8-megapixel camera
- Touch ID, allowing users to unlock their phone with the touch of a finger
- A 64-bit A7 chip which is said to be twice as fast as the iPhone 5
- A new slow-motion video and FaceTime HD camera
- Support for up to 13 LTE (Long Term Evolution) wireless bands and download speeds up to 100 Mbps
- Ten hours of talk time on 3G networks, up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi and LTE networks, up to eight hours on 3G networks, 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 hours of audio playback
- iTunes Radio, a free internet radio service based on the music users' listen to on iTunes.
The iPhone 5S comes in three colours - gold, silver and "space grey" - and has a retail price of £549 for the 16GB model, £629 for the 32GB and £709 for the 64GB. It will be available in the UK from Phones 4u concessions within selected Currys PC World stores from Friday September 20th.
The iPhone 5C - the cheaper, colourful one
Apple says the 5C is "more fun" than any iPhone yet, it comes in a range of colours and boasts a cheaper price tag that marks the firm's first step away from high-end devices.
Here's what it's all about:
- The 5C comes in five vivid colours - blue, green, pink, yellow and white
- It is modelled on the iPhone 5 and features a four-inch retina display and an eight megapixel camera
- It is equipped with a new FaceTime HD camera and the iOS 7 operating system, dubbed "the most significant iOS update since the original iPhone"
- The polycarbonate body comes with a steel reinforced frame
- The 4.9in (124.4 mm) phone is 2.33in thick (59.2 mm) and weighs 4.65oz (132 grammes)
- Apple has said the phone is compatible with more 4G bands than any other smartphone in the world
- The handset delivers 10 hours of talk time on 3G networks; up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi and 4G networks and up to eight hours on 3G; up to 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 hours of audio playback
- iPhone 5C will be available in the UK for a suggested retail price of £469 for the 16GB model and £549 for the 32GB model.
They say knowledge is power and armed with the facts we've bestowed upon you, you good people should be well equipped to decide which of Apple's new toys is for you. Let us know below…