Control your lighting from your phone with Philips Hue smart bulbs
Make your home more desirable and your life easier with smart lightbulbs…
Ever get to work and realise you’ve left your bedroom lamp or kitchen light on? Looking to make improvements that’ll future-proof your home?
Stop wasting energy and make your home more appealing by adding smart lighting from Philips Hue. You can turn lights off even when you’re at the office using an app on your phone. The bulbs connect to your home Wi-Fi, so you can take control of your lighting and use energy in a smarter way.
With Philips Hue you can…
- Connect up to 50 bulbs around your home and control with 1 specially designed Hue app
- Dim your lights from the sofa on your smartphone or switch them on and off
- Set timers so lights come on as you arrive home from work on dark evenings
- Turn off lights you forgot when leaving the house using your phone
- Connect them to Amazon Echo and Nest Learning Thermostat to make your home much smarter
Make life easier and your home more valuable
Along with thermostats and security cameras, smart lighting is part of a new generation of connected home technology. Around two-thirds of people think connected devices can make life easier, according to Deloitte, while around 1 in 3 plans to buy a connected device in the coming year.
Connected home technology can even help you sell your house, with 28% of buyers telling Barclays that a property would be more appealing if it had connected technology. People would be prepared to spend over £3,000 more on average on a home fully equipped with preinstalled connected technology, says the Barclays report.
Get started with the Starter Kit
The Hue starter kit contains three wireless LED bulbs and a
bridge – you can be started in 3 simple steps.
- Simply screw/push the bulbs into your light fitting as normal and turn them on at the wall
- Plug your bridge into a power socket and connect to your router using the network cable – wait for 3 lights to show
- With your smartphone download the Philips Hue app from the App Store or Google Play
Different types of Hue bulbs and lighting
There are 3 main types of bulbs for Philips Hue and the starter kit comes with the most diverse of those.
The white and colour ambiance bulbs give you the option to fill your home with:
- any shade of natural white light – from energising daylight to relaxing warm light
- colourful light – with 16 billion colours to choose from in the Hue app you can create vibrant lighting to suit any mood
- perfect light for bookworms in reading mode or for evening workers in concentrate mode
Beyond bulbs? Smart strip lighting
Line the tops of your bookcases or kitchen cabinets or the length of your hallway with these bendy strips of LED lights.
The LightStrip is 2 metres long, but you can extend that by buying 1 metre extensions. Get Hue LightStrip Plus
Desk and table lamps can also be brought into your Hue network by replacing your current lamps with the minimalist Philips Hue Go
Get more from Hue with Amazon Echo and Nest
To get the best from your Philips Hue lightbulbs it’s worth combining them with other smart home technology. The lightbulbs work with both the Amazon Echo voice-controlled speakers and the Nest Learning Thermostat and other Nest tech.
Hue and Nest
Nest is a smart thermostat that recognises when you come and go from your home and adjusts your heating accordingly. By connecting with Hue it can also do the same with your lighting.
When you go out it’ll gently switch off your lights so you can leave home worry-free.
There are more benefits with other Nest products. Have the lights turn off automatically when you leave the room by pairing Hue with the Nest Cam. They’ll also come on when movement is detected outside your home.
Hue also works with Nest Protect smoke alarm. Find out more about Nest and Hue
Hue and Echo
Amazon Echo is a hands-free, voice-controlled speaker. You can set reminders, dictate shopping and to-do lists, ask it questions and stream music.
You can also control your Philips Hue lighting. Set it up using the Alexa app in a few simple steps to turn your lights off or on with voice.