Setting up your Amazon Echo
Got a new Amazon Echo and keen to get set-up? Check out our quick guide…
The smart speaker only has 3 buttons, so all set up is done through the free Amazon Alexa app. You can download this to your smartphone or tablet but we’ve found it much easier to get the initial set up done through the web app.
- Download the Alexa app and log in to your Amazon account
- Select ‘Settings’, ‘Setup a new device’, then choose your device (Echo or Echo Dot)
- Set your language
- Plug in your Amazon Echo using the power cable
- Set up mode will start automatically (if it doesn’t, press the ‘Action’ button – the one with the dot – on the top of the device)
- Alexa will let you know that she’s in set up mode
- Connect your app with the Echo’s Wi-Fi network - this will be called ‘Amazon-’ followed by 3 characters
- Alexa will then tell you, ‘You've connected to Echo. Go ahead and finish the setup in the Alexa app.’
- Choose your home Wi-Fi network from the list in the app and you’re good to go!
If you struggle with any part of the setup, head over to Amazon’s support page
Time spent now setting up all your preferences means you aren’t faffing around with each one as and when you need them. However, if you’ve got a burning question you can’t wait to ask, you can start questioning Alexa straightaway by saying her default ‘Wake word’, which is just ‘Alexa’, and then your question.
You can change her ‘wake word’ to anything you want – just go into ‘Settings’ in the app and select ‘Wake word’. This is handy if you or someone in your house is actually called Alexa.