Football Fusion: Bacon champ pierogi recipe
Northern Ireland take on Poland in our second football-inspired fusion dish – Polish pierogi dumplings filled with Irish bacon Champ...
Watching the footie at home this summer? Who needs the crowds when you can have the best seat in the house? Your favourite chair. So relax and take some cooking inspiration from two countries that know how to do comfort food.
Here’s our Football Fusion recipe for savoury Polish dumplings stuffed with a hearty Irish bacon champ filling.
For the champ filling:
500g potatoes peeled and halved
1 bunch spring onions
4 rashers bacon
For the dough:
300g self-raising flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
150ml warm water
1. Boil the potatoes until soft, drain and rest
2. Gently heat the milk and spring onions in a saucepan. At the same time, fry the chopped bacon until crispy
3. Mash the potatoes with butter, salt and pepper. Add the milk, onion and bacon to the mash and mix through
2. Add the salt, 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and water to the middle. Mix with fingers until it becomes dough.Sprinkle flour on the table and knead the dough for 5 mins
3. Wrap in a tea towel and rest for 20 mins. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 3mm and cut 10cm rounds using a pastry cutter
4. Add the filling in teaspoons and brush water thinly on the sides before folding and pressing the edges. Poach the pierogi in boiling water until they float to the surface
5. Fry in olive oil until crispy. Finish up with a dash of butter. Serve immediately