Football Fusion: Russian beef stroganoff with Welsh rarebit
Watch Wales vs. Russia with a warming homemade snack – our fourth football-inspired fusion dish combines Russian beef stroganoff with Welsh rarebit.
When you think of Russian cuisine, piping hot beef stroganoff usually springs to mind. The same goes for Wales and its gooey rarebit dish. So what happens when you combine the two? You get nourishing home cooking at its finest.
Here’s our Football Fusion recipe for Russian beef stroganoff served over traditional Welsh rarebit.
- 600g diced beef
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 300g grated cheddar
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 20g butter
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp flour
- Pinch of pepper
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 medium bloomer, sliced into 10 pieces
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan
- Add sliced steak and brown well
- Add finely chopped onion and cook over a low heat
- Add paprika, tomato puree, black pepper and flour and stir in
- Add the cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and milk
- Stir over a gentle heat until melted and stop when it thickens to a desired consistency
- Toast the bread lightly and spread the mixture evenly
- Grill lightly, and serve