How to make healthy chips: it’s all in the air fryer
Though we all love chips with our meals, most of us either avoid them because of how unhealthy they are or feel guilty for eating them. Yet this doesn’t have to be the case as an appliance has appeared on the market that gives chip lovers the ability to cook their favourite potato accompaniment without all the oil they usually require.
Though we all love chips with our meals, most of us either avoid them because of how unhealthy they are or feel guilty for eating them. Yet this doesn't have to be the case as an appliance has appeared on the market that gives chip lovers the ability to cook their favourite potato accompaniment without all the oil they usually require.
These new airfryers cook chips with a drastically lower amount of oil than normal, making them healthier and tastier in the process. Here we take a look at the future of home-cooked healthy chips and how to choose an airfryer.
How they work
The beauty of these new airfryers lies in the technology they employ to cook the chips without heaps of oil.
A combination of high-speed air circulation and a grill element allows incredibly hot air to flow around the ingredients in the airfryer, cooking them from all directions and resulting in great tasting chips time and time again. Cooking time can also be drastically reduced by around 20 minutes.
Thanks to the quick air circulation, less oil is required but chips remain crispy on the outside, without becoming too dry on the inside, to give you perfect results every time.
For an example of the results you can expect to receive, the Breville Halo Health Fryer can fry 1kg of chips using just one spoon of oil while the Philips Airfryer requires absolutely no oil at all, cooking chips using its patented Rapid Air technology instead.
What they can be used for
Chips aren't the only thing airfryers can be used for. Vegetables, meats, fish and cakes can all be cooked here too and there are a variety of great recipes for dishes cooked entirely in your new airfryer.
Whether you prefer pumpkin fries, stir-fried vegetables or sweet potato chunks, there is a different meal available for every occasion with an.
How to choose one
As people begin to look for healthier ways to cook their foods and provide low fat, nutritious meals, kitchen appliances like the airfryer are becoming more popular.
When choosing your airfryer there are a few key features you should consider. These are:
- Frying capacity: this should match the demands of your family and be large enough to accommodate your needs without going to excess.
- Timer: to track the progress of your cooking accurately.
- Temperature controls: to help you achieve different results and give you greater control over your cooking.
- Digital display: to display clear information about cooking time, temperature, etc.
- Washing and maintenance: some fryers are dishwasher safe which can help make cleaning easier and more convenient.
- Measuring spoons: if your fryer requires oil to be provided in a set measurement then accessories such as measuring spoons are a must.
- Other accessories: other great accessories like roasting racks/shelves and recipes increase functionality to help you use your fryer to its full advantage. A removable basket or rack for roasting may also be a desirable feature.