Which food mixer should I buy?
Wondering which food mixer or stand mixer to buy for all your cooking and baking needs? Whether your speciality is choux pastry or a Victoria sponge, We help you choose the right mixer to help you whip up a showstopper…
Kneading, mixing, whisking and chopping. Baking and food prep can be a chore. Shorten your time in the kitchen with an appliance that can do it all. But which should you choose - a stand mixer, hand mixer or food processor? We help you decide with our guide.
In a nutshell: A baker’s best friend – take the strain out of whipping, whisking and kneading with the ultimate baking tool.
Are you a keen baker? A stand mixer makes everyday baking effortless. Use it to cream butter and sugar together, knead dough and whisk eggs and cream. With it you can:
- Multi-task as you don’t need to hold it. Pop in your butter and sugar and get on with something else
- Knead dough without the arm ache – stand mixers are seriously powerful and can take on thick doughs.
- Handle big batches – you can find stand mixers with large 4.6 to 4.8 litre bowls
- Keep your kitchen clean and your mix in the bowl with flexible beaters and splash guards
- Have more control with features like slow start and automatic stop
Stand mixers come with attachments like balloon whisk for beating eggs and whipping cream, and a beater for folding cake batter or beating fluffy frosting. Like to bake your own bread? The dough hook can knead dough in next to no time.
Why not try… The KitchenAid Artisan mixer
The KitchenAid Artisan mixer is the stand mixer of most home bakers’ dreams. It combines curvy retro stylings with a powerful motor, large mixing bowl and attachments for general whisking, blending and a hook for kneading bread.
Love baking but don’t have the worktop space for a full-size mixer? The KitchenAid Mini is perfect. It’s 20% smaller than the full-size KitchenAid but shares many of the same features. It looks great in even the smallest of kitchens. With it you can:
- Mix an impressive celebration cake in the ample 3.3 litre stainless steel bowl
- Whip up the lightest of meringues using the size-wire whisk attachment
- Enjoy precision mixing with 10 speeds to choose from and a powerful 250 watt motor
In a nutshell: Great for occasional bakers – effortlessly whip cream and beat eggs without spending too much on equipment
Do the odd bit of baking every couple of months? A hand mixer is a useful alternative for less serious bakers. With it you can:
- Whisk eggs and whip cream and do other basic baking tasks
- Save money as they’re cheaper to buy than stand mixers
- Save counter space as there’s no large bowl and they fit easily in a cupboard or drawer
Why not try... The KitchenAid hand mixer
Create bakes with the perfect consistency with the KitchenAid hand mixer. It’s got 9 speed settings, for precise control. And keep track of exactly which speed you’re using with the LED speed indicator. Accessories include a mixing rod and two dough hooks.
In a nutshell: An all-round food-prep tool for busy cooks that can also be used for baking
A food processor is your go-to kitchen gadget. They come with different attachments that you use to blitz through heavy-going tasks. With it you can:
- Chop onions, herbs and nuts with the blade attachment
- Slice carrots or cucumber with the slicing attachment
- Grate cheese, carrots, fresh ginger and chocolate with the grating attachment
- Mix together ingredients to make pesto and curry paste
- Mix flour, butter and water for easy shortcrust
Some models can even mix cake batter and whisk eggs – although food processors are designed as an all-round food preparation tool, rather than for baking alone.
Why not try… The Kenwood Multipro food processor
Take the strain out of cooking and baking with the Kenwood Multipro food processor. Choose from one of 22 functions to get slicing, kneading or liquidising at several different speed settings. With a 2.1-litre mixing bowl, you’ll have plenty of room for your ingredients no matter what you’re making.
Looking for more baking inspiration? Check out or full range of food mixers