Our guide to cordless vacuums
Isn’t it time you cut the cord? Say goodbye to plugs and cables with a cordless vac. The latest models are powerful as well as super-portable for easy spring cleaning.
When you’re lugging a heavy vacuum cleaner from room to room, bending down to plug it in every time, it’s not surprising you get backache.
What you need is stress-free wireless cleaning. With battery life improving rapidly and increasingly powerful motors, cordless vacuums can replace your main vac to handle the whole house anytime. Job done - giving you more time to sit back with a well-earned cuppa watching a bit of telly.
Why buy a cordless vacuum?
- Vacuum more efficiently – no more trailing cords slowing you down
- More portable – reach under the sofa or take outside to clean your car
- Lightweight so you can whiz up and down the stairs without changing plug sockets
- Easier to take care of smaller jobs like crumbs and mud before visitors arrive
Can a cordless be your only vacuum?
In a word – yes. The latest generation of appliances now offer as much power as corded vacuums and enough battery life to get around your home in one go – assuming you don’t live in a palace, that is.
Some models with lithium batteries can last for up to 60 minutes on a single charge. Although charging can take a few hours, lithium batteries also juice up more quickly than standard batteries and don't waste energy once they're fully charged.
Worried a cordless vac won’t do a thorough job? The more amps, volts and watts it has, the more powerful it is. First-generation cordless vacs lacked oomph, but now most models can easily suck up as much dust as corded vacuums.
Free up much needed storage space
Because they’re dinkier, lightweight and more streamlined than corded vacs, cordless sweepers fit seamlessly into small homes that don’t have a lot of room for bulky appliances.
Your cordless vac and charging dock may come with fixtures and fittings included so you can attach it to a wall. Or hang it inside a cupboard to make more room for storing other things. Neat!
Cordless vacuums we love:
Dyson V8 Absolute
If you want to pull out all the stops and go for the best, you’ll love this top-of-the-range vac.
- Up to 40 minutes vacuuming on a single charge
- Tackle deeply ingrained dirt with 150% more brush bar power
- Switch to a handheld cleaner in seconds – perfect for car, stairs and sofa
Dyson V7 Total Clean
If your budget won’t stretch to top-of-the-range but you still want excellent power, try this Dyson, which improves on the popular V6 model.Best bits:
- Powerful suction for deep cleaning and removing pet hair
- Soft roller cleaner head to handle floorboards and tiles
- Easily detachable handheld vac for stairs and sofa
If you’re looking for a bargain vac that will keep your home clean with minimal fuss, this Bosch is perfect.Best bits:
- Tackle different surfaces without changing heads
- One-hour battery life for endurance cleaning sessions
- Three performance levels to tackle stubborn dirt
Want to explore more? See our full range of cordless vacuums