Which vacuum cleaner should I buy?
Buying a new vacuum cleaner? Find the best vacuums to suit everything from busy family homes to smaller city flats.
The best vacuum cleaners make your life easier. But different models suit different people. Someone running a busy family home with young children will need different things from a vacuum than a young couple living alone in a city centre apartment. In the same way dedicated dog owners and students on a budget will have different wish-lists.
Find the perfect vacuum for your home and lifestyle…
Busy families with homes that get messy
In a nutshell: Carpets, hard floors, awkward corners, general mess. You need a vacuum for all seasons.
The family home can be chaotic. Little ones, teenagers, mums and dads all leave their fair share of mess - from biscuits trampled into carpets and slivers of paper from homework projects, to spillages from cooking dinner and dust that always shows up in the sun.
As well as different types of mess there are different types of flooring – carpets, laminate flooring and tiles.
Look for a versatile vacuum cleaner that:
- picks up superbly on laminate and tiles as well as carpet
- has multi-cyclone cleaning power for better suction
- has bagless mode that’s easy to empty – no faffing round
- gets rid of anti-allergens – perfect if you’ve got allergy sufferers at home
- is easy to push around your home – not too bulky
- is hardwearing, ideally with a 5-year guarantee
Why not try… Dyson DC40 Multi Floor
This great all-rounder performs amazingly on carpets, floorboards and laminate. Have animals as well as kids? It does a great job on pet hair, and helps keep allergens at bay for allergy sufferers. It’s an upright vac with clever ball technology for easy cornering – and its bagless design can be emptied in a flash.
Young couple in a smart flat or small house
In a nutshell: Your home is small but just so – you want a vac that’s super easy to store and use.
You live in a flat or a small house and have limited space to store bulky appliances. It’s just you and your flatmate or other half, and you don’t make that much mess. You vacuum little and often, but your place is immaculate and you want to keep it that way. You need a vacuum that’s portable while also having enough power.
Look for a vacuum cleaner that:
- is cordless for hassle-free use – light and flexible
- can be wall-mounted and charged inside a cupboard
- Converts to a handheld vac for cleaning the car and stairs
- includes crevice and upholstery tools
- empties straight into the bin
Why not try… Dyson V8 Absolute
This cordless vac can manoeuvre around your pad with ease and has up to 40 minutes cleaning time on a single charge. It’s got plenty of suction power too, with 150% more brush bar power than the V6 Animal. Get into those hard-to-reach spots by switching to handheld mode and when you’re done, just attach it to the wall for easy storage.
Pet owners with problem hair
In a nutshell: If you’ve got a dog or cat, you’ll need a powerful vac to get up all the hair they shed.
We love our dogs and cats but we’d be lying if we said they didn’t make it harder to clean our homes. Most pets shed hair. It’s a fact of life. You’ll find furry tumbleweeds collecting in corners, and trails of pet hair all over your couch and stair carpet. Hoovering up all this fur takes some serious suction power.
Look for a powerful vacuum cleaner that:
- lifts stubborn pet hair and dust from carpet, laminate and floorboards
- has crevice and upholstery tools to remove hair from furniture and stairs
- is designed to filter out allergens
- uses odour control to neutralise pet smells
Why not try… Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog PowerLine
This cylinder vacuum was designed specifically for pet owners and it does a great job of ridding your floors of cat and dog hair – sucking it up powerfully and quickly. Dust and sand will come up easily too, which is perfect if you’ve been for walkies on the beach. It’s also great at getting into corners and up against your walls.
Students in shared digs
In a nutshell: Keep your student house halfway clean with a decent budget vacuum.
Don’t believe everything you hear about students being messy – you’ll have to keep your student house reasonably clean if you want your deposit back. Sometimes landlords supply a vacuum cleaner, but if not…
Look for a budget vacuum cleaner that:
- is great on floors and carpets for cleaning up the morning after
- doesn’t eat into your student loan too much
- can pick up hair – in case anyone likes cutting their own to save cash
Why not try… Hoover Whirlwind
For less than £100 you get a great performing vacuum with a 2-in-1 tool for tackling carpets and wooden floors. Goodbye mess, hello deposit!
Choose the right vacuum cleaner for your home and lifestyle – see our full range