Which portable wireless speaker should I buy?
Whether at home or on your travels, enjoy your favourite tunes anywhere with a portable speaker…
For summer adventurers
In a nutshell: Whether rocking out in a festival campsite or walking the Great Wall of China, they’ll want a tough and compact portable speaker.
Adventure-seeking music fans need a speaker they can throw in their backpack and play on the move. The Sony Extra Bass SRS-XB41 is the ideal choice – light, portable and with a long battery life. (In fact the battery is so good you can use the speaker to charge other devices via USB.)
Use it to:
- Keep listening on long journeys with 24 hours of battery life
- Add a beat to beach parties by pushing the Extra Bass button for audio with oomph
- Play music by the pool, on thebeach or in the rain worry-free thanks to the waterproof and dustproof design
- Stream Spotify by tapping your phone against the speaker thanks to NFC technology
- Control the speaker’s lighting and apply DJ effects from your smartphone – via the Fiestable app
For the gadget-lover
In a nutshell: Those who love the latest smart tech will appreciate a speaker that lets them play their favourite tunes while turning down the lights.
Gadget-lovers and party animals won’t be able to resist the Ultimate Ears Boom 2 – the key to getting any party started. It’s light enough to take anywhere, and - using the app - you can pair it with up 8 Ultimate Ears products wirelessly to get the crowd going wherever you are.
But it won’t let your social life mess with your other commitments; you can set alarms to play through your speaker, so you don’t forget those important deadlines.
Use it to:
- Listen to non-stop tunes with 15-hours battery life
- Take it in the shower, listen by the pool, bring it to a festival – equipped for any occasion, it’s shockproof, dust proof and waterproof
- Wirelessly connect to your smart device or computer and access Amazon Music.
- Discover new music with a 6-month Deezer Premium subscription with your purchase
For listening at home
In a nutshell: Go for a good all-rounder that can be used in the house or taken into the garden.For that friend or family member who likes to enjoy music while lounging at home or entertaining friends in the garden, the JBL Charge 3 is a great choice. Its durable, waterproof design makes it perfect for both in and outdoor use.
Use it to:
- Play music in the rain with water resistance of up to a metre for 30 minutes (IPX7 rating)
- Soundtrack house or garden parties with loud, clear sound
- Pump up the volume by creating a network of Charge speakers
- Party into the early morning with 20 hours’ battery life – you can even charge out from the battery via USB
How many speakers? JBL broke the Guinness World Record for the most Bluetooth speakers playing from a single source with 1,000 Flip 4 speakers playing simultaneously – beating a previous record of 208
For audiophiles and business travel
In a nutshell: Hi-Fi enthusiasts and jet-setters will want a small speaker that’s big on sound and premium design.
This is the gift for those that appreciate the finer things. Bose is known for its audio innovation – and its SoundLink Revolve offers portable design without compromising on sound.
Use it to:
- Enjoy immersive 360° sound
- Play on the go – its aluminium design with top and bottom bumpers is robust and waterproof
- Add more speakers through smartphone connectivity
- Make calls and send texts through the speaker with the Bose Connect app
- Play your music into the night with up to 16 hours of battery life