Which portable wireless speaker should I buy?
Whether at home or on your travels, enjoy your favourite tunes anywhere with a portable speaker…
In a nutshell: Whether rocking out in a festival campsite or walking the Great Wall of China, you'll want a tough and compact portable speaker
Adventure-seeking music fans need a speaker they can throw in their backpack and play on the move. The Sony Extra Bass SRS-XB41 is the ideal choice – light, portable and with a long battery life. (In fact the battery is so good you can use it to charge other devices via USB.)
Use it to:
- Keep listening on long journeys with 24 hours of battery life
- Add a beat to beach parties by pushing the Extra Bass button for audio with oomph
- Play music by the pool, on the beach or in the rain worry-free thanks to the waterproof and dustproof design
- Stream Spotify by tapping your phone against the speaker with NFC technology
- Control the speaker’s lighting and apply DJ effects from your smartphone – via the Fiestable app
For the gadget-lover
In a nutshell: Latest smart tech lovers will appreciate a speaker that lets them play their favourite tunes while turning down the lights.
Gadget-lovers and party animals won’t be able to resist the Ultimate Ears MegaBoom – the key to getting any party started. It’s light enough to take anywhere, and - using the app - you can pair it wit over 150 other speakers wirelessly to get the crowd going wherever you are.
But it won’t let your social life mess with your other commitments; you can set alarms to play through your speaker, so you don’t forget those important deadlines.
Use it to:
- Listen to non-stop tunes with up to 20-hours battery life
- Take it in the shower, listen by the pool, bring it to a festival – it’s shockproof, dust proof and waterproof
- Wirelessly connect to your smart device or computer and access Amazon Music.
- Get exclusive extras with the MegaBoom Ultimate Ears app, including a musical alarm system and remote on and off controls
For listening at home
In a nutshell: Go for a good all-rounder that can be used in the house or taken into the garden.
Perfect for a friend or relative who likes to listen to music while lounging at home or entertaining in the garden, the JBL Charge 3 has a durable, waterproof design ideal for both in and outdoor use.
Use it to:
- Play music outdoors without worrying about rain showers, with water resistance of up to a metre for 30 minutes (IPX7 rating)
- Soundtrack house or garden parties with loud, clear sound
- Pump up the volume by creating a network of Charge speakers
- Party into the early morning with 20 hours’ battery life – you can even charge other devices from the battery via USB
For audiophiles and business travel
In a nutshell: Hi-Fi enthusiasts and jet-setters will want a small speaker that’s big on sound and premium design.
This is the gift for those that appreciate the finer things. Bose is known for its audio innovation – and its SoundLink Revolve offers portable design without compromising on sound.
Use it to:
- Enjoy immersive 360° sound
- Play on the go – its aluminium design with top and bottom bumpers is robust and waterproof
- Add more speakers through smartphone connectivity
- Make calls and send texts through the speaker with the Bose Connect app
- Play your music into the night with up to 16 hours of battery life