Which smart sound multi-room system should I buy?
Love Spotify? Get the best from streaming with smart sound multi-room speakers. We review the options, from Bose to Sonos…
What are multi-room speakers?
Speakers that connect to your Wi-Fi. They’re controlled through an app on your phone or tablet – no wires, no clunky separates, and no hassle.
With multi-room you can:
- Fill your home with lots of speakers - as many as 32
- Control them through a single app on your phone
- Listen to different music in each room
- Stream Spotify or Apple Music
- Play your iTunes archive or other MP3s
Sonos is perhaps the best-known multi-room brand. But Bose and Samsung also have fantastic systems. We take a look at all three below…
Bose: High-end audio from established innovators
You’re an audiophile who wants smart sound multi-room from an established Hi-Fi name.
Bose SoundTouch is a great option. Bose spent decades winning the respect of Hi-Fi enthusiasts with its innovative approach to audio – from its revolutionary 902 speaker in the 1960s to the first noise-cancelling headphones in the 2000s.
- Play music from your phone or tablet via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
- Stream Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music and Tidal – play tunes of any file type
- Create a network of SoundTouch speakers around your home
- Easily play different music in each room
- Control your network through the simple SoundTouch app
- Compatible with Bose’s high-end Hi-Fi systems
How to get started with Bose
Smart, compact and with a lower price, the SoundTouch 10 is a great way to start building your Bose multi-room network.
Expanding your Bose network
Fill your living room with crisp, clear sound with the bigger Bose SoundTouch 20
It’s physically bigger than the SoundTouch 10 and delivers powerful, full-bodied sound – with much clarity and detail.
Sonos: Simple set-up and quality speakers from a multi-room pioneer
You want the original multi-room system. Something that combines great sound quality with a wealth of music services to stream from.
One that’s simple to set up and use, and has the flexibility to grow with you.
You control the speakers from your smartphone using the Sonos app. It’s super-easy to use – select your room, the music service, the album and then tap ‘play’.
- Stream music over Wi-Fi from your smartphone, tablet or laptop
- Unrivalled compatibility: Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer, SoundCloud
- Fill your home with as many as 32 Sonos speakers
- Control your music with your voice with Amazon Echo compatibility
- Easily choose different music for each room in the Sonos app
- Enjoy full-bodied sound from the smallest Sonos speaker
How to get started with Sonos
Expanding your Sonos network
Combine 2 speakers with a Sonos Playbar for 5.1 home cinema
You can fill the biggest living room with thumping bass and crystal clear sound with the Sonos Play:5 speaker
Samsung R Series: Cutting-edge speaker technology
Samsung combines elegant minimalist design with innovative speaker and audio technology in its R-Series multi-room range.
You control speakers through the Samsung Multi-Room App on your phone. Everything from choosing an album to grouping speakers is simple.
- Enjoy excellent sound quality everywhere with 360° omni-directional sound
- Stream over Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi
- Listen to Spotify, Deezer and Qobuz from your smartphone
- Stream high-resolution audio files for top quality listening
- Connect to other Samsung tech like a TV or smart home gadgets
How to get started with Samsung
Hear your favourite music from all directions with the svelte, stylish Samsung R1 speaker
Pop it on a shelf to make a real style and sound statement for less than £170.
Expanding your Samsung network
Impress your friends with the superb 360° sound and head-turning design of the Samsung R3 speaker
This cool cylindrical speaker evenly throws out balanced sound in all directions – this is called ‘omnidirectional’. Chic and stylish, its minimalist design would complement any modern interior.
Amazon Echo: The original smart speaker
The idea of a speaker you can chat with is now pretty mainstream. But it all started with Amazon Echo and its built-in voice assistant, Alexa.
Echo is incredibly smart on the inside but now looks even smarter on the outside with a sophisticated new makeover. Playing music, making lists and getting the latest headlines has never been so easy – simply ask Alexa.
- Stream music in 360° from Spotify or Amazon Music Unlimited
- Create a multi-room network with other Echo speakers
- Talk to the speaker to control smart tech around your home
- And to make appointments or order pizza
How to get started with Amazon Echo
Bring voice control into your home with the Amazon Echo
Or the smaller (in both size and price) Echo Dot
Expanding your Echo network
Echo Spot brings multi-room into your bedroom in the shape of a smart speaker that looks and functions like a very smart alarm clock
Looking for another option?
Sonos, Samsung and Amazon are perhaps the most well known smart and/or multi-room speakers. But there are other options too. The JBL Link 10 has Google Assistant built-in for easy control.
The Sony LF-S50G is also a real head-turner. It also has Google Assistant, but we love its digital clock display on the actual speaker mesh.