Whether you’re shooting wildlife and landscapes or action shots of your kids at your local skate park – photography is all about capturing the moment as it happens. It makes sense to have a laptop that can double as a portable studio. Use it to work on location or in a nearby coffee shop on your post-production.
You also need something powerful enough to get the best from editing software like Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.
What to look out for when buying a laptop for photography on the go:
- Screen size – something big enough for working up-close but small enough to slip in your bag. 12 to 13-inch screens are the sweet-spot
- Portability – thin and lightweight laptop for carrying in your kitbag all day with durable metal design aluminium and long battery life
- Processing power – Photoshop and Lightroom are demanding. Look for Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processors to ensure they run smoothly
- RAM – Photoshop does much of its work using your computer’s RAM (internal memory), measured in GB. The higher the number, the better
- SSD – solid-state drives (SSD) are thin, lightweight hard drives that are faster at getting things done. Look for 256GB or above
- Screen resolution – when working up-close on photo files, detail is key. Look for laptops with high-resolution screens
- Connectivity – choose a laptop with an SD card slot for transferring your photos, and USB 3.0 for plugging in your camera
We rundown the key features of some of our favourite laptops.
Asus Zenbook Flip
In a nutshell: Ultra-light and super thin 2 in 1 laptop designed to take with you everywhere.
Built to keep you going all day long, the Zenbook flip is perfect for photo editing on the go and everyday computing too. Combining a solid aluminium shell and a smooth 360-degree hinge, the Zenbook Flip looks great and works with you. Photos will look rich and detailed on the 13.3-inch display, with Full HD (1920x1080) resolution.
Whether you’re editing photos or sharing pics online with family, the Intel Core m3 processor keeps you running smoothly. And the fanless design means this machine is virtually silent – perfect for late nights at home. At just 1.3 kg, the Zenbook Flip is light enough to take anywhere while 12 hours of battery life means you won’t be tied to the mains – you can practically work all day.
Lenovo YOGA 900S
In a nutshell: 2 in 1 laptop that can also function as a touchscreen tablet with plenty of storage
If you’re looking for a laptop that can help showcase your photographs as well as edit them, the Yoga 900S is a good option. Switch between laptop and tablet modes – with a hinge that rotates 360-degrees. In tablet mode, the screen folds back flush against the back of the keyboard. It can also be stood on a desk in a ‘tent’ mode that looks like an upturned V – perfect for scrolling through photos as you talk people through them.
Work up-close with good results on the Full HD screen, and enjoy wider viewing angles and reduced glare with IPS tech. Whether you’re using the laptop for work or everyday computing, the Intel Core M processor will keep your programs fast and responsive – whatever the task.
For working on the go, you can enjoy 10.5 hours of battery life – plus it’s able to charge quickly with special Rapid Recharge technology.
HP Spectre x360
In a nutshell: Ultra-slim laptop with a 360° hinge for versatile working on the go.
The HP Spectre is a high-end Windows 10 laptop packed with photography-friendly features. See incredible detail on screen when working in Photoshop up close with the Quad-HD resolution – twice that of Full HD TV. Besides making the colours of your photos pop there’s plenty of screen for working on complex projects too.
Make light work of demanding tasks with its powerful Intel Core i7 processor. Photoshop will run smoothly and efficiently with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD drive, and with a plethora of ports including 3 USB and a full-sized HDMI socket, keeping connected is easy.
Touchscreen controls give you greater control. Use your fingertip to swipe through photos, or pinch to zoom up close before working on the mouse. Work hard wherever you are with 12.5 hours battery life.
Share this article
Related in Laptops, desktops & tablets