Core M is a type of processor that powers incredibly thin laptops, tablets and 2-in-1 devices. It blends efficient running and long battery life with portable design and processing oomph.
What is a processor?
A processor is like your laptop’s brain. It works out how fast it can run, how many jobs it can do at once and many other things to do with power.
Intel is the best-known manufacturer of processors. Its Core range powers the majority of our laptops.
So why has it developed Core M, and what can it do for you?
How is Core M different to regular Intel processors?
Powerful processors generate heat when they’re running, so the laptops they power have built-in fans to keep them cool, which restricts how thin a laptop can be.
Intel Core M is designed to stay cool, so a laptop using it doesn’t need a fan. This means laptops with one can be incredibly thin.
Benefits of Core M
- Powerful enough for working in Office, watching video and browsing the web
- Sick of your noisy laptop? Core M laptops are super quiet
- With no fan, laptops and 2-in-1s can be really thin and light – less than 9mm thick in some cases
- Energy-efficient - Core M devices use far less power (just 4.5 watts)
- Less power means less heat – so your laptop will stay cool
The science bit – how does it work?
Core M is much smaller than a traditional Intel Core processor. In fact, it’s 50% smaller and 30% thinner than 5th generation Core processors.
It’s the first processor to use 14-nanometre transistors – the smallest ever used in a product you can buy in the shops. It’s able to use less power, and therefore generate less heat, thanks to Thermal Design Power technology.
With no need for a fan to keep the processor cool, the laptop can be thinner and run quieter.
What about power?
Laptops with Intel Core M processors aren’t as powerful as those with Intel Core i3 or i5 processors, but they still pack more than enough power for everyday computing.
The latest Core M processors are called 7th Gen – and you can choose between the m3, m5 and m7, with the m7 being the most powerful.
2-in-1 laptops and Core M
Core M has been designed to get the best from 2-in-1 laptops.
With a 2-in-1 you get the work benefits of a laptop and the convenience of a tablet. Write emails and type reports on the laptop keyboard, browse Facebook and watch Netflix on the touchscreen in tablet mode.
The perfect travel laptop?
A travel laptop needs to be portable – thin, light and with enough power to get stuff done while on the move.
If you’re working on planes and trains and in public places, it would also help if it wasn’t too noisy and had enough battery power to keep going all day…
That’s why a 2-in-1, powered by Intel Core M, is a great option for a taking on your travels.
The Microsoft Surface Pro
When it comes to 2-in-1 devices that run 7th Gen Intel Core M processors and use thin, light, fast SSD storage, the Microsoft Surface Pro is a great option. Here’s why…
- You’ll be able to work for hours with the superb full-size keyboard and up to 5 hours of battery life
- Thanks to its latest 7th generation Intel® Core™ m3 processor, it offers users up to 20% more gusto when it comes to both speed and power
- With a Full HD screen, you’ll be able to enjoy much sharper graphics
- It allows for seamless integration with a variety of super-cool accessories including the Microsoft Surface Pen and the Surface Pro TypeCover (both sold separately)
- Perfect for those who often burn the midnight oil, or who have an incurable addiction to Netflix, the Surface Pro will let the rest of your household sleep soundly thanks to its silent, fan-free design
- It comes with tablet-esque touchscreen capabilities and allows you to run all of your favourite Windows programs and apps
- The ultra-stylish magnesium exterior and integrated kick stand, ideal for propping the screen up for comfy typing or viewing, adds the extra finishing touch to a machine that already has it all
Share this article
Related in Laptops, desktops & tablets