A tablet is the perfect travel companion for entertaining kids on long journeys – or just for chilling at home during the long summer break. You can:
- Easily carry it around with you in a small bag – it’s lighter than a laptop but bigger than a smartphone
- Watch movies and TV shows in the car, train or plane
- Read or play games while relaxing out of the sun
- Use learning tools to refresh before starting the new term
But where tech is involved, accidents can happen, so you’ll need a device that’s durable. We show you what to look for when buying tablets for children.
Tablets for younger kids aged 3-10
When you’re messing around by the pool or playing on the beach, it’s easy for tech to get dropped or splashed with water.
Kids’ editions of regular tablets offer greater robustness with protective casing so are ideal for younger children. They also come with pre-loaded games and apps that are age-appropriate.
- Robust rubber casing to protect the device if it gets dropped
- Parental controls to ensure your child doesn’t go anywhere on the web they shouldn’t
- Child-friendly interface designed for little hands
You can also look for a tablet that allows you to set time limits on usage if you’re concerned about how much time your kids are spending on their devices. Follow these top tips from Internet Matters to manage children’s screen time...
Try the Amazon Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet for child-friendly internet browsing.
For the superhero fans, get the Estar 7” tablet and Spiderman case and they can enjoy a load of pre-installed Spiderman games.
Tablets for older kids aged 11-16
An older child will want something a bit more grown up and powerful, with more advanced tech for gaming and watching movies. But you’ll still want to retain control of how much time they spend on it.
And if you’re worried about it breaking, you can always add a case to it for added protection.
- Something affordable in case it does break
- Long-lasting battery: If you’re travelling long distances, you don’t want to run out of juice
- Multi-family user mode: Everyone can have their own account so you only have to take one tablet on holiday with you
Keep them entertained for hours the Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet
All-weather tablets for activity holidays
If you’re going off the beaten track on your family hols, you’ll need a top-of-range tablet that can cope with any environment, from a swirling ocean spray to a sandstorm.
Look for something that is water and dust-resistant, as well as shockproof. The toughest of cookies...
- Anti-shock protection to prevent hardware failure and data loss should it get dropped. Some tablets can withstand drops of over a metre
- High waterproof rating: An IP rating of 66 and above provides optimum protection against dust and water
- Lightweight design for carrying around in a rucksack
If you like to get out and about on holiday, try the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2
If you’re not ready to invest in a new kids’ tablet just yet but would still like to protect your current device from the hazards of a summer holiday, a protective cover could do the trick.
Some cases are waterproof and shockproof. This can make your current tablet more robust or protect a new one you buy.
To find the perfect tech for your family holiday, check out our full range of tablets
Currys PC World are proud supporters of Internet Matters, an organisation committed to helping parents keep their children safe online. Internet Matters offer the best advice and information available to parents, to make their children’s online life fulfilling, fun and above all safe.
Visit: https://www.internetmatters.org/ for more information.
Share this article
Related in Laptops, desktops & tablets