The best tech to take on holiday
Whether you’re wandering the piazzas of Florence or the bustling markets of Istanbul, all city breaks have certain things in common:
Amazing sights to see, miles of streets to roam, superb restaurants to eat at and, of course, the opportunity to get lost.
Get the best from your city break with our top 3 gadgets for urban explorers.
1. Portable but powerful camera
Great travel companions and a fantastic smartphone step-up, mirrorless cameras are the middle ground between the professional DSLR and point-and-shoot compact.
They offer excellent image quality and greater control but in a much smaller body. They can be smaller because, unlike a DSLR, they don’t use bulky mirrors to capture an image.
The Sony a6000 is a great option:
- Exceptional image quality with the large CMOS sensor
- Small and light – comfortably slips into your pocket
- Built-in Wi-Fi for sharing pictures instantly on Instagram
- Easy to get started – the perfect upgrade from your smartphone
2. Phablet for research and entertainment
Want to find and book reservations for that raved-about restaurant, or keep yourself entertained on long journeys? A phablet – a cross between a smartphone and a tablet – is perfect for research and catching up on TV on the go.
The Samsung Galaxy Note8 is a great option:
- No compromise on TV clarity with 4 times the quality of Full HD
- Travel-friendly for keeping up to date on Facebook
- Sophisticated camera for snapping DSLR-style pics and fast processor for photo editing
- Make lists on screen and write handwritten messages on virtual postcards with the S Pen
3. Fitness band
The best way to see everything is by walking, and the best way to track all your steps is with a fitness band. And once you’ve done your 10,000 for the day you can reward yourself with an ice cream sundae.
The Fitbit Charge 2 is a great option:
- All your steps, calories, miles and other metrics recorded
- On-screen notifications from your smartphone
- Guided breathing sessions to help you find moments of calm amid the bustling streets
- Comfortable design – and splash-proof too
There’s no arguing that soaking up the sun on a beautiful beach is one of the best ways to relax.
Whether you’re a sunbather, sea paddler, sand sculptor or volleyball champ, we’ve got the gadgets to help you get the best from your beach break.
1. Anti-glare e-reader
E-readers are much handier than packing your suitcase with a stack of books, so you can lose yourself in the latest bestseller while topping up your tan.
The Kobo Aura H20 is a great option:
- Thinner and lighter than a paperback
- Can hold thousands of books
- Display reads just like a paperback with no screen glare when reading in the sun
- Battery life of up to 8 weeks
2. Portable speaker
Take the party poolside or on to the beach with a portable wireless speaker so you can pump out your favourite holiday tunes.
The Ultimate Ears Boom 2 is a great option:
- 15 hours of battery life for all-day beach parties
- Waterproof and dustproof for adventures on windswept beaches
- Works up to 30 metres awayfrom a Bluetooth source
- Pairwith another Boom to double up on sound
3. Waterproof action camera
Hit the waves and never miss a minute of the action with a waterproof action cam. It’s made to go where your smartphone can’t.
The GoPro Hero is a great option:
- 2-inch touchscreen to frame the perfect shot
- Durable and waterproof down to 10m depth – no need for a separate case
- Simple one-button control for jumping between modes, or go hands-free with voice commands
- Edit your footage automatically to upload to your followers
Share this article
Related in Gadgets