The road and mountain track are calling – what better way to smash your New Year’s waistband resolution than riding through the hills of the British countryside?
Technology, from fitness trackers to cameras, is changing the way you can experience cycling – track those miles, look back on that crazy descent, monitor your heart rate and challenge yourself.
Here are our top four gadgets to enhance your bike ride…
For clocking those miles in style
In a nutshell: For the cycling commuter who wants a top piece of tracking technology combined with a smart and sophisticated look.
With its classic watch face, the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier looks good with a suit and is smart enough to track those commuting miles on your bike. The Super AMOLED display is what gives this watch its traditional look.
It’s jam packed with technology to help you…
- Monitor your fitness – track your stats and see your progress to smash that New Year’s resolution
- Track your mileage – built-in GPS gives you accurate location information
- Keep in touch – turn the bezel to answer and make calls, check emails and messages.
- Get musical motivation – with 4GB of internal memory and Bluetooth technology, you can set your favourite music to play through wireless Bluetooth headphones
- Plan your ride – check the weather forecast so you know whether to don shorts or longer leggings
Capture the action
In a nutshell: For the keen-bean who wants to capture the twists and turns of that hairy downhill mountain bike route or create a time-lapse of the countryside route.
If you want top quality footage and you want it now, strap the GoPro Hero6 onto your helmet. ‘QuikStories’ transforms your raw films into stunning edited video and sends it straight to your smartphone over Wi-Fi, for you to watch and share.
Film like a pro with the…
- Voice controlled filming of 4K Ultra HD video at 60 frames per second (fps)
- Option to switch to full HD 1080-pixel video at 240fps – if it’s slow motion effects you’re after
- Smooth, stabilised footage – with advanced stabilisation technology
- Added detail of GPS captured speed stats to add onto your videos in the ‘Quikstories’ app
- Templates and filters to customise your video with ease
- Durable design made to endure your latest adventure
A beat to keep your legs spinning
In a nutshell: You want the music blasting as you drive up the steep incline and then to relax to as you drift down the other side of the hill.
The Jabra Elite Sport Wireless Bluetooth Headphones are designed for sports. They feature a heart rate monitor to analyse your fitness on-the-go, and a coach in your ear keeping you motivated if your tunes aren’t enough to push you that last stretch home.
You can push your performance limit with…
- Real time guidance on performance, recovery and race pace predictions – perfect for long distance training
- A wireless connection to your smartphone - play music and make calls hands-free
- A secure and comfortable fit for freedom of movement without a cord
- Smart volume control – easily change from two earphones to one to give you better awareness of your surroundings
- Sweat and water resistant – to handle those high energy workouts without compromising on sound
And don’t worry about battery life – an on-the-go charging case offers two additional full charges, just in case you run out.
Motivation from your wrist
In a nutshell: For the cyclist who finds those hills a challenge and wants to get more active in their everyday life.
With its finger quite literally on the pulse, the Fitbit Alta HR collects all of your fitness stats and is the motivator you need to meet those New Year targets.
Reminders encourage you to keep moving during the day, maintaining the fitness you need for that long weekend cycle you've got planned.
With it you can...
- Set achievable goals - perhaps starting with a target number of steps or calories to burn at a spin class
- Keep an eye on both your stats and phone notifications - just by tapping the display
- Customise your look by changing the band - transition seamlessly from the mountain bike track to Monday morning in the office
- Be on the go while the Fitbit Alta up with you - a five-day battery life is super convenient
Share this article
Related in Fitness & Smart Watches