Before buying a smartwatch, there are a few things to consider…
- Current smartphone: Whether Android or Apple, you need a watch that’s compatible
- Style: Smartwatches come in all shapes, sizes and colours
- Everyday needs: Look for the features that will work for you - do you want fitness tracking, contactless payments, music storage?
A smartphone extension and workout partner
In a nutshell: For iPhone and Android users, the new Fitbit Versa SE is a great option
Think of it as a handy personal organiser that can also help you start your New Year’s fitness journey – and keep it going all year.
With it you can…
- Track your run, bike ride or swim with your phone’s GPS
- Get personalised on-screen workouts and discover your cardio fitness level
- Track your monthly cycle to gauge ovulation and log your menstrual health
- Go without charging for longer – thanks to the 4-day battery life
- Store over 300 songs to keep you motivated whether you’re walking to work or running on the treadmill
- Pay for your lunch by using your watch to pay by contactless
An extra bonus? The Fitbit Versa SE comes in two stylish colours - Lavender and Charcoal.
For serious fitness tracking
In a nutshell: The Garmin Fenix 5 is a hardcore smartwatch that’s perfect for the fitness junky
This robust and durable smart sports watch has all your fitness needs covered, while keeping you connected.
With it you can…
- Get notifications, read emails and texts, and control your music to keep you motivated
- Create your own personalised training plan, and get updates on your training status, recovery advice and even indicators of lactate threshold
- Track your route, distance and speed with built-in GPS
- Watch out for the weather - the inbuilt thermometer and barometer will ensure you don’t get caught in a sudden downpour
- Adapt to different environments with the Auto Climb/Run feature
- Download faces, apps and widgets for a personalised smartwatch
Compatible with iOS and Android.
Smart technology in a stylish watch
In a nutshell: Like the idea of a smartwatch but put off by the lack of style? The Michael Kors Access Runway could be the answer
Michael Kors Access combines fashion and function with a range of colours and finishes to choose from including the Grayson model in cool blue or silver.
It’s one way to ensure you carry out your New Year’s resolutions with more style than ever… plus, beneath their elegant façade lies seriously smart technology. You can:
- Get text, call and email notifications straight to your wrist
- Use voice command to find out the weather, get directions or ask for diary reminders thanks to built-in Google Assistant
- Sync to your smartphone and use it to control your music
- Measure your fitness progress with an inbuilt activity tracker and heart-rate monitor
- Wear it in the shower or the pool – it's water resistant
- Make contactless payments with Google Pay
The watches run on Android Wear but work with both Android and iPhones.
For training for a triathlon
In a nutshell: Not only does the Samsung Galaxy Watch look chic, it doubles as a fitness tracker too
City slicker during the week and triathlon challenger at the weekends? Then this is the smartwatch for you.
With it you can…
- Track your progress in all your favourite sports from swimming to running – it’ll even monitor your sleep patterns
- Map your route and gradually extend the distance with built-in GPS
- Sync with other Samsung devices so you can control your fridge, lights and more, all from your wrist
- Receive and make calls when your phone isn’t to hand
And if you just want a cool accessory to impress your friends, it’s got you covered there too.
For style and function rolled into one
In a nutshell: Part of the most famed smartwatch family, but perfect for fitness beginners and lower budgets
The slick Fitbit Ionic comes with all the wearable fitness tracker tech and unique styling associated with the Fitbit brand – but with the added benefit of top notch smart capabilities.
This incredible smartwatch...
- Gives you on-display call, email, text and app notifications
- Keeps you on track with your activities thanks to inbuilt GPS – track runs, walks and hikes
- Store over 300 of your favourite songs to keep you motivated
- Accurately monitors your heart rate to keep you in control of your cardiovascular health with PurePulse
- Offers on-screen guidance videos for squats, stretches and more, to make sure you’re doing it right!
- Has a long-lasting battery to keep you going for longer
Compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
Share this article
Related in Fitness & Smart Watches