Control your lighting from your phone with Philips Hue smart bulbs
Smart light bulbs are no gimmick – they’re proven to boost kerb appeal, secure your home and generally make life a whole lot easier…
There is nothing more annoying than rushing to the office, sitting down at your desk and suddenly realising you’ve left the kitchen light on. You can almost see the pounds adding up as the meter ticks over.
Well – thanks to smart home lighting – this could soon become a thing of the past.
Save energy and money, while generally making your home a cosier place to live, by upgrading to a smart lighting system – such as the Philips Hue.
Philips Hue bulbs connect to your home Wi-Fi, so you can take control of your lighting and use energy in a smarter way. Turn them off from the office or dim them from the comfort of your sofa. You can even control them while you’re away to increase your home security.
With Philips Hue you can…
- Connect up to 50 bulbs around your home and control them all from the Hue app
- Dim them or turn them on/off from just about anywhere
- Up your home security - set timers so lights come on as it gets dark or while you’re away
- Locked the front door and then realised the hall light is still on? No worries – you can turn it off from your doorstep via the app
- Team them up with your Amazon Echo or Nest Learning Thermostat for the ultimate smart home
Increase your homes kerb appeal with smart lighting
Smart lighting isn’t just about saving energy.
According to those-in-the-know at Deloitte, around two-thirds of people think connected devices – such as thermostats, security cameras and lighting - can make life easier
And around 1-in-3 plan to buy a connected device in the coming year.
Connected tech can even help you sell your house – 28% of buyers tell Barclays that a property would be more appealing if it had connected technology.
They’d even be prepared to spend over £3,000 more (on average) on a home fully equipped and preinstalled with it, says this Barclays report
Trying to decide if you should invest in a smart home? Find out more here
Kick-starting your Philips Hue Starter Kit
Getting your home’s smart lighting system up and running couldn’t be easier.
The Hue starter kit contains three wireless LED bulbs and a bridge – you can be started in 3 simple steps.
- Simply plug the bulbs into your existing light fittings and turn them on at the wall
- Plug your bridge - the small white box with lights on top – into a power socket and connect it to your router using the network cable – three blue lights should appear
- Download the Philips Hue app onto your smartphone from the App Store or Google Play
Choosing your Philip Hue bulbs and lighting
There are three main types of bulbs for Philips Hue – so you’ll always find the right light for you and your home - Hue White, Hue White Ambiance and Hue White and Colour Ambiance.
The starter kit comes with the latter – the most diverse – giving you the option to fill your home with:
- any shade of natural white light – from energising daylight to a relaxing warm ambience
- a choice of 16 billion colours from the Hue app allows you to create vibrant lighting to suit any mood
- perfect light for bookworms in reading mode or for evening workers in concentrate mode
Beyond bulbs? Then check out Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance LightStrips…
Create a subtle backlight by lining the tops of bookcases, kitchen cabinets or the length of your hallway with these bendy strips of LED lights.
Each is 2-metres long with the option to buy 1-metre long extension strips should you need a little more length.
Want to jazz up your office space? Or bring a bit of ambience to your bedside? Then add desk and table lamps to your Hue network by replacing them with the minimalist Philips Hue Go
Get more from Hue with Amazon Echo and Nest
Combine Hue with the likes of the Amazon Echo or Nest tech – such as the Learning Thermostat – and it’ll pack a whole lot more punch…
Hue and Nest
Nest’s Learning Thermostat recognises when you come and go – adjusting your home’s heating accordingly.
Connect Hue to it and it’ll do the same with your lighting – switching off your lights so you can leave home worry-free.
Pair Hue with the Nest Cam and it’ll turn-off lights when you leave a room and turn them on when motion is detected outside the house.
Hue can even be connected to the Nest Protect smoke alarm – find out more
Hue and Echo
Amazon Echo is a hands-free, voice-controlled speaker and virtual assistant all rolled into one.
Through it you can set reminders, dictate shopping lists, ask it questions, stream music and even control lights.
Use the Alexa app to connect your Hue and Amazon Echo, and you’ll be using your voice to control your lights in next to no time.