Smart technology is here to stay – and it’s not just for controlling the heating and streaming tunes.
If you’re going away this Christmas – or if watching Home Alone has got you worried about intruders – choose one of these high-tech devices to help you keep an eye on your home security too.
These incredible bits of kit help you feel safer than ever in your home, giving you a complete view of what’s outside the door. You can even talk to the postman from your office chair, or check that the kids are playing safely outside for added peace of mind.
Main benefits of smart security
- See what’s happening inside and outside your home
- Receive alerts when doors and windows are opened or motion is detected
- Answer the door from your smartphone with a video doorbell
Nest Cam security cameras
In a nutshell: Monitor who’s in and outside your home with security cameras that stream footage to your smartphone
The Nest Cam IQ Indoor Security Camera offers indoor and outdoor monitoring, sending an alert to your Apple or Android device and streaming through its full HD camera.
Simple to set up, it tracks the source of movement around the room and gives you a crystal-clear view.
With Nest Cam IQ you can…
- Attach it your wall, table or ceiling to detect movement in your home
- See your home with excellent clarity with Full HD recording and infrared night vision
- Detect sound in your home and speak to people from your phone using the 2-way microphone
- Automatically encrypt audio and video data for added safety and security
Want to know what’s happening on the other side of the wall? Then check out the Nest Cam Outdoor Smart Security Camera.
Like the Nest IQ it offers HD footage and alerts – plus a few extras for easy outdoor usage. Features include:
- Alerts of unexpected sounds and movements (including any Santas coming down the chimney)
- Share password-protected footage streaming with your neighbours or the police
- A bigger, clearer picture that fits in all the key details thanks to its 130° wide-angle lens
- Achieve a clear view, even in the dead of Christmas night, thanks to night vision
- Quickly review your footage and zoom in on anything suspicious with Sightline
Did you know? By subscribing to Nest Aware you can look back at footage from up to 30 days ago. You can even set up important ‘zones’ – such as paths or driveways.
Ring Video Doorbell 2
In a nutshell: Your own personal butler – see who’s at the door from your smartphone
The Ring Doorbell lets you check the door before answering. It looks like a regular doorbell, but has a discreet built-in camera, which begins recording when motion is detected.
Everything you need for installation is right there in the box and set-up is easy – simply download the Ring app to get started.
With the Ring Doorbell you can…
- Check if carol signers are at door with crystal-clear clarity thanks to 1080p HD video streaming
- Speak with people on your doorstep when you’re out – no more missed parcels from the postman
- Clearly identify guests visiting at night thanks to infrared night vision
Add the Chime Pro Wi-Fi Extender & Indoor Door Chime to your Ring Video Doorbell system and you’ll never miss a visitor again. Even if your mobile device isn’t to hand it’ll sound an audible chime within your home for everyone in the house to hear.
Yale SR-310 Smart Home Alarm Starter Kit
In a nutshell: Kick-start your home security setup with this easy to install and use home security kit
You’ve already got enough on your plate at Christmas. The last thing you need is to faff about setting up and installing a new home security system, right?
But with the Yale SR-310 Smart Home Alarm Starter Kit, you don’t have to. It’s easy to fit and can be controlled from your smartphone.
With the Yale SR-310 Smart Home Alarm Starter Kit you can…
- Be alerted if motion is detected within your home via the Yale Smart Living Home app for iOS and Android
- Part arm the device – check for creatures stirring downstairs while you sleep peacefully upstairs
- Get peace of mind with jamming detection, which stops someone trying to jam the signal
- Add on additional Yale security products – like smart door locks and CCTV
Swann Security System
In a nutshell: This multiple-camera system can cover up to 8 viewpoints, and has heat and motion detectors for increased security
With 4 cameras already in the box and room for 4 more, the Swann 8-Channel Security System lets you keep an eye on every corner of your home – you can even check if Santa has landed his sleigh on your roof.
And, with the HomeSafe View app, you can easily view your footage remotely, wherever you are.
With the Swann security system you can…
- Record footage for up to a year with the Set & Forget feature and 4 cameras
- Identify anything that generates heat – so you can tell snowmen from real people
- Receive security alerts straight to your smartphone, so you’re always connected
- The powerful cameras let you keep a watchful eye on things as far away as 100ft/30m
- Eliminate false triggers caused by the windy, icy weather thanks to accurate motion detection
What’s more, it comes with Google Assistant compatibility to make home security effortless and easy. Sync your cameras to your Google account to access your cameras with just your voice. Just say “Okay Google, show me the front door”.
Share this article
Related in Smart Home