4 simple ways to get your 5 a day
Over the festive period many of us struggle to stick to a healthy eating plan. But the New Year is the ideal time to rethink our eating habits and pack more fruit and veg into our diet.
When you’re preparing big family meals or simply trying to juggle work and home life, you often find yourself popping a microwave meal or reaching for the takeaway menu.
If you’re short of spare time to prepare healthy meals, there are some simple ways to fit in more fruit and veg - without having to deal with lots of prepping and chopping. Here are 4 gadgets to take the headache out of healthy eating.
1. Swap carbs for spiralised veg
If you have fussy kids, you would've tried everything to get more greens on their plates. How about putting a healthy twist on a classic favourite like spag bol?
Transform carrots, courgettes or even squash into ribbons quickly and easily with minimal fuss – no more spending time at the chopping board. You don’t just have to create the famous courgetti-spaghetti. Spiralizers are great for quickly preparing fruit and veg for salads, soups and casseroles too.
We recommend: Morphy Richards Spiralizer Express
- Blitz through food prep with stainless steel blades that effortlessly cut through fruit and veg
- Avoid mess and transfer food straight to the pan with the 0.5 litre container
- Make clean-up a breeze – simply rinse the blades under a running tap
2. Turn fruit and veg into juices
Fitting in those 5 portions of fruit and veg a day might not be as tricky as you think. Juicing is one of the best ways to increase your intake of vitamins, nutrients and fibre.
Like spiralizers, juicers are great for sneaking fruit and veg into kids’ diets.
Whip up juices to kickstart your day – perfect if you’re rushing off to work or getting the kids ready for school in the morning.
We recommend: Philips Viva Juicer
- Cut whole or large pieces of fruit and veg – no pre-cutting needed for apples, carrots or beetroot
- Simply drop the fruit or veg you want into the large feeding tube for almost instant juice
- Get rid of unwanted pips, lumps and stalks with the pulp collector
- Easy cleaning with dishwasher-safe parts
3. Lock in more nutrients
Blending is a great way to retain all the goodness of fruit and veg in a more exciting way than steaming.
Blenders pulverise whole pieces of fruit and veg to give you a thick, nutritious smoothie. All the fibre is locked in, which aids your digestion and slows down the body’s absorption of sugar, so you won’t be flagging come mid-morning.
We recommend: NutriBullet Pro 900
- Cut through seeds, stems and tough skins effortlessly with a powerful 900w motor
- Enjoy a purer consistency for soups and smoothies while retaining vital nutrients
- Pop on the mess-free flip top lid to enjoy your drink on the go
- Get durable results with stainless steel blades that stay sharp
4. Get more variety into your meals
Want to experiment a little more with your cooking? Sticking to a healthy diet doesn’t mean you have to eat the same steamed vegetables and chicken every day.
Mixing up your meals might also help you keep up your motivation to get your 5 a day – variety is the spice of life, after all. With a food processor, you can chop, blend, whisk and slice to create a variety of healthy dishes quickly and simply.
We recommend: Magimix BlenderMix Food Processor
- Enjoy super-versatile cooking with accessories to chop, slice, whisk, grate and even knead dough
- Prepare food quietly without disturbing the rest of the household
- Create less mess with a blender and bowl attachment