If you’ve overindulged this Christmas you may be feeling ready to embrace a healthier lifestyle. But the thought of squeezing all that fruit and veg into your diet can be a daunting prospect.
Worry not. Here are 4 simple ways you can stick to 5-a-day without it feeling like a chore.
1. Eat lean
Onions, peppers, asparagus and of course, spuds – some vegetables just taste better fried. But sizzling your veg in a pan full of oil isn’t exactly the healthiest option…
Try swapping the frying pan for the grill – you’ll still get a great flavour, but with much less fat.
We recommend: George Foreman Evolve Precision Grill
- The deep baking pan accommodates even the thickest cuts of meat – you can even grill a lasagne under it
- Stress-free cooking – Set a time and temperature so you don’t have to keep checking on it
- Grill meats too – there’s even an automatic steak cooking function
2. Turn fruit and veg into juices
Juicing is one of the best ways to increase your intake of vitamins, nutrients and fibre – and a delicious way to get your 5-a-day.
They're are also the best way to sneak fruit and veg into the diets of fussy eaters, which is ideal if you’ve got kids.
And, what better way to kickstart your day than with a juice you can drink on the go?
We recommend: Philips Viva Juicer
- Juices whole or large pieces of fruit and veg – hardly any prepping required
- Drop the fruit or veg into the large feeding tube for almost instant juice
- Pulp collector gets rid of unwanted pips, lumps and stalks
3. Lock in more nutrients
Blending is a great way to retain all the goodness of fruit and veg in a more exciting way than steaming.
It pulverises whole chunks of fruit and veg – stalks and all – to give you a thick, nutritious soup or smoothie. Lovely.
With the fibre locked in, it aids digestion and slows down the body’s absorption of sugar, helping you to avoid that dreaded mid-morning energy slump!
We recommend: Vitamix S30 Personal Blender
- Compact enough for any kitchen, powerful enough to blitz the chunkiest fruit and veg
- Vented lid lets you blend hot mixtures – perfect for warming soups
- Two containers – a 0.6L travel cup and a 1.2L container for bigger batches
4. Variety is the spice of life
Boredom is the killer of all health kicks. Steamed veg and chicken every day can be pretty dull and have us reaching for the biscuit tin.
Mixing up mealtimes can help you stay on track and enjoy a varied diet. With a food processor you can create a variety of healthy dishes quickly and simply.
We recommend: Magimix BlenderMix Food Processor
- Chop, slice, whisk, grate and knead your way to great health with this super-versatile kitchen gadget
- Prep food quietly, without disturbing the rest of the house
- Blender and bowl attachment stops any mess spreading
Share this article
Related in Small kitchen appliances