What is an air fryer and how does it work?
Craving for chips clashing with your New Year’s resolution to be healthy? Air fryers are the answer, using just 1 tbsp of oil per kg of spuds.
The evolution of frying at home
Just because you have a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean you have to go without the occasional treat. Wouldn’t it be great if you could make chips with the crispiness and deep-fried taste you love but with a lot less guilt? You can with an air fryer.
What is an air fryer?
The air fryer is an electrical gadget that circulates superheated air around your food. If you’re cooking chips, for example, you put in about 1 tablespoon of oil for 1kg of sliced potatoes.
How do they work?
The machine helps the oil coat them thinly so there’s not enough oil to saturate your spuds. Circulating hot air cooks and crisps your chips to perfection. No more submerging your chips into deep vats of fattening oil.
The hot air system cocoons your food in heat, cooking it evenly. While the stirring paddle keeps it moving so there’s no need to shake or stir. Hands-free cooking at its finest, leaving you to do more important things.
But they’re not just for chips...
From curries to tapas, air fryers like the Tefal ActiFry can fry a variety of foods with much less fat and oil. Meat, fish, even puddings can all be handled.
Think coated chicken wings, salmon fillets with pesto and stir-fry prawns. There are loads of tasty recipes to choose from when you download the My ActiFry app.
What are the health benefits of air frying?
Using 80% less oil to cook your food means a big reduction in fat intake:
- A 300g portion of traditional deep-fried chips packs 37g of fat
- A 300g portion of chips cooked in an air fryer contains just 9g of fat
Chips will never be a low-calorie choice but you can make them healthier by reducing the amount of fat.
Ready to air-fry? Why not try…
Tefal ActiFry Plus
Quick to heat up, accurate temperature, and hot, crisp chips. Telfal ActiFryers have got it all.
It’s ready to cook in just 3 minutes, and uses a tiny amount of oil (14ml) per batch. As well as chips it’s great at cooking things like scampi, and super-easy to use too:
- Click the cooking pan into place and fold down the handle
- Slide the stirring paddle on (if you’re using it – a must for chips)
- Put 1kg of sliced, dry potatoes in the pan
- Add 14ml of oil with the measuring spoon that comes with it
- Set the timer for 40 minutes
Cooking chips by smartphone
What about frying chips from your phone? You can control your ActiFry from your smartphone with the ActiFry XL Smart.
It’s controlled by an app on your smartphone or tablet and connects by Bluetooth. You simply choose a recipe from the app, put in your ingredients, and tell the air fryer via the app to start cooking.
Cooking for the whole family
Tefal’s patented hot air system is put to use in the ActiFry Express XL, with the extra-large fryer able to prepare a larger capacity of food for up to six people.
Only one spoon of oil is required in the 1.7litre bowl, to cook up a range of healthy grub for the whole family with ease…
- No preheating necessary – the temperature control means there’s no waiting around for the oven to get a move on
- Fuss free cooking – put your fresh and frozen food in for cooking and walk away
- Safe frying – unlike a deep fat fryer that demands careful attention, the Actifry is fitted with a warning alarm and automatic shutoff
- No more smelly frying aromas – an odour filter stops your home from smelling like a greasy spoons
- Get a balanced diet – cook the meat and veg in the fryer to add the vitamins, minerals and protein to your meal
- Quick and easy cleaning – the scratch-resistance ceramic coated bowl, lid, spoon and paddles can all go in the dishwasher – saving you more time in the kitchen.
Morphy Richards Health Fryer
Morphy Richards use their competing rapid air technology in a health fryer that is pre-programmed to prepare a range of food. These programs save the kitchen stress, with meals prepared at the touch of a button.
With one spoonful of oil you can:
- Fry – those frozen chips until they’re piping hot
- Roast – potatoes for a Sunday dinner
- Bake – a spongy cake to take into the office
- Grill – bacon to crispy perfection
- Toast – a cheese sandwich for a light lunch
The health fryer enables you to prepare meals with the delicious flavours you crave, all without the grease.