GoPro unveils new voice-controlled HERO5 4K action cameras
GoPro is the leading name in action cameras. The American company has consistently released better and more capable cameras over the last few years, and now it’s time for the next step. Meet HERO5 Black and HERO5 Session.
HERO5 Black is the new flagship device, and looks a lot more grown up and elegant than the HERO4. It has a sort of battleship grey finish with rounded off corners, and it’s capable of filming in 4K at 30fps, which is a great spec for a smaller camera.
The newly inbuilt GPS will be big news for the adventurers out there. This means that when you’re out in the wilderness, you’ll not only be able to film every detail, but also track exactly where you’ve been and when.
There’s also voice-control included now too, with seven languages available straight out the box. You can say: “GoPro, take a photo”, and other similarly basic, conversational commands. You’ll definitely appreciate if you’ve ever known the pain of trying to prise the camera out of its case with frozen, mud-covered hands.
And for the photographers, you can now snap 12MP RAW photos. The RAW format is great if you’re looking to edit your shots after you’ve taken them. They won’t be compressed, like a JPEG file, leaving you with the totally original photo, full of sharpness and contrast.
Our favourite bits round up
- Water-resistant to 10m – no extra housing required
- 2-inch touch display – watch your footage back straight away
- Voice-controlled – use conversational commands, like “GoPro, take a photo
- Shoot 12MP RAW and wide dynamic range (WDR) photos – perfect if you need to edit your stills
- Film in 4K at 30fps – you can also film at 1440p at 80fps and 1080p at 120fps
- GPS built in – pinpoint exactly where your adventures have taken you
- Stereo audio – for great sound and advanced recording with wind noise-reduction
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth – for seamless, swift connections
The second new device is the 10MP HERO5 Session - a slightly stripped down, smaller version of the flagship. The cuboid-shaped camera features a status screen on the top – displaying frame rate and battery, but there isn’t a visual display to watch your footage back on, like the HERO5 Black.
The 5 Session does however feature the same impressive 4K-frame rate as its big brother, but lacks the touchscreen, GPS and RAW photo specs.
Our favourite bits round up
- Water-resistant to 10m – ready when you are for any weather
- Voice-controlled – go hands-free with conversational commands
- Shoot 10MP still photos – not just for video, capture high quality photos, too
- Film in 4K at 30fps - you can also film at 1440p at 60fps and 1080p at 90fps
- Simple one-button control – GoPro’s iconic one-button control keeps things simple
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth – connect to your laptop or smartphone quickly and easily
Both HERO5 action cams are waterproof to 10 meters - ready for any weather - and you can order them both from Currys PC World as of 2 October. Head to our GoPro page now to register your interest.
Share this article
Related in Action & camcorders