Buying a camera for blogging
If you're new to blogging or are looking to take your site to the next level, a good camera will provide high-quality images to make you stand out from the crowd.
There’s no single best camera for blogging. It all depends on what type of blog you have and what you want to do with the images.
Tips for buying a camera for blogging:
- Think of it as an investment. Having said that, if your photos are just going to stay on a blog page (where the resolution will likely be compressed), it’s not worth spending the earth
- If you're the subject of the photos or videos, go for something with a flip screen – so you can see exactly what you're shooting
- Are you happy to stay on Auto, or looking to improve your photography by using other modes? If so, it may be worth investing in something more advanced
Follow our guide to finding the right camera.
In a nutshell: No two days are the same in the life of a travel blogger. Look for a versatile camera that can easily switch from landscape to portrait and macro to document your adventures properly
A big advantage of compacts for travel blogging is that they’re much lighter and better for carrying round with you than bulky DSLRs. Compact system camera vs. DSLR – which is right for me?
The Olympus E-PL8 is a good bet. It comes with a 14-42mm Zoom Lens for shooting landscape shots in breath-taking detail, while its small size makes it ideal for travelling. With it you can:
- Shoot outdoors in a range of conditions with an ISO range of 80 – 1600
- Capture the moment as it happens with fast autofocus and start up
- Have greater control over how you frame your shots with the 180 degree tiltable touch screen – designed to help you take the perfect selfie
- Upload photos quickly thanks to built-in Wi-Fi. Use it with the Olympus Image Share app for iOS and Android and you can share your latest vista on Instagram in seconds – while including a GPS tag
- Record and edit high definition video – if you fancy dipping your toe into vlogging use the E-PL8 to take panoramic tours of your surroundings, then edit on the Olympus’ Movie Clips feature
In a nutshell: Shoot picture-perfect Pinterest mood boards, Instagram flatlays and outfit posts with a camera that’s fit for a pro
The Canon EOS M3 has all your fashion photography needs covered, with a versatile zoom of 15-45mm for capturing stunning indoor scenes and outdoor shots.
Take professional quality images with the 24.2-megapixel sensor and high ISO range up to 12800 – providing great detail and colour, even in low light conditions. Once you’ve nailed your latest outfit post, upload it and watch the ‘likes’ come flooding in with built-in Wi-Fi/NFC. With it you can:
- Take incredibly clear photos every time with fast and accurate auto focus – the 49 auto-focus points capture all the details in a frame
- Use with ease – focus and shoot with a single tap, with a screen that tilts to give greater flexibility in shooting angles
- Find the perfect shot by taking razor-sharp stills from your video
- Take shots quickly in novice mode or customise your shooting style in the manual expert control mode
In a nutshell: Budding YouTube star? A camera with a flip screen for first-person videos is a must. Something compact you can use to film on the go, too
Capture sharp, detailed movies on the Sony RX100 MK IV Isaw Edge action cam and save them in a professional XAVCS format.
When you’re done filming, upload to your laptop for editing is easy with built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connections. With it you can:
- Have the option to film in other video resolutions like Full HD 1920 x 1080p (60 fps) and HD 1280 x 720p (30 fps) – great if you need to upload at a lower resolution for any reason
- Save your videos in a range of file formats including XAVC S - AVCHD format 2.0 compatible, depending on what you’re using it for
- Avoid a shot that’s too close to your face with a 107 degree wide angle lens – so it’ll look like you’re standing further away from the camera
- Have plenty of space for all your videos with up to 1.45 hours recording
In a nutshell: Love the great outdoors? You’ll need a high-quality camera to capture those awe-inspiring landscapes and precious wildlife encounters
When an animal comes into view, you don’t often have much time to react and document the sighting. Focus and shoot easily using the Nikon D5600 DSLR’s intuitive touchscreen and use the viewfinder to block out sunlight and other distractions.
You can lock onto a blur of fur or feather and keep the five shots taken a second in focus with the exceptional autofocus system. Other features allow you to:
- Capture the detail in a scene or close up using the large 24.2-megapixel DX-format image sensor
- Take quality images even in low lighting – the EXPEED 4 processor keeps image noise low even with a high ISO up to 25500
- Preserve great moments on HD video – capture sharp movies with the continuous live view autofocus
- Avoid blur at slow shutter speeds – remotely control the camera using your smart device to avoid contact blurring
- Fine-tune your creations on the go using the range of in-camera picture control tools. Then instantly upload to your smartphone via Bluetooth and Nikon’s SnapBridge app
Life photographer professional’s website
In a nutshell: For the pro-photographer who desires ultimate control in a compact setting for the best quality pics
From candid portraits, to street photography, architecture and food, the Fujifilm X-E3 is for the expert who needs to be ready for all circumstances at the click of a button.
Packed full of amazing features and modes, the X-E3 allows settings to be programmed in the customisable menu for easy toggling between shot types.
Expect the Fujifilm X-E3 to provide:
- Amazing image quality – 24.3 megapixels with the CMOS III APS-C sized sensor and noise reduction up to ISO 12800
- Sharp focusing with ease – seamlessly switching from 1 to 325 focus points at the touch of a button. A manual lever as well as touchscreen sensors give ultimate focusing control
- Speedy responses with the processing engine powering eight frame per second capture, fast shutter speeds, swift start-up times and rapid autofocusing
- 4K movie recording – experience authentic movie shooting with 29.97 frames per second, 100Mbps quality recording that supports an external microphone input. According to the scene, select the film simulation type from the options provided
- Automatic transfer of images or send for printing using Bluetooth
Looking for the perfect camera gift for blogging? See our full range
Share this article
Related in Photography