How to avoid Christmas party disasters
From music fails to awful lighting, here’s how to avoid a disaster this Christmas
Match your Christmas lights to your mood
The disaster: You’ve invited everyone over for a party but the bright kitchen light is killing the mood.
The answer: You can create different lighting shades and colours with the tap of your finger thanks to Philips smart lightbulbs. These are lightbulbs that connect to your home Wi-Fi so you can control them with an app on your phone.
How can they prevent a party disaster?
- create different lighting moods for different rooms with 16 million colours to choose from
- set a disco effect in the dancing room by syncing the lights to music
- subtly dim the lights as you want to wind the party down
Create the perfect ambiance with the Philips Hue White and Colour Ambience 27 Starter Kit
Don't stop the music
The disaster: Every time a CD ends, the music stops abruptly and you have to rush over to change it – disrupting the flow of the party.
The answer: You can keep the music playing all night long with wireless multi-room speakers. They sync up over your home Wi-Fi and you control what you’re listening to via an app on your phone.
How can they prevent a party disaster?
- use your phone to stream playlists from services like Spotify
- when one ends, just queue another to start immediately
- have a mix of playlists for each room to suit different tastes
- play your own personal music library from your laptop, tablet or phone - i.e. iTunes
Launch your multi-room story with the Bose SoundLink Revolve. This small but powerful speaker is a great way to start your network. You can program your favourite internet radio stations as presets while friends can also connect to the speaker over Bluetooth to play their own tunes.
No one is mingling
The disaster: Your family is on one side of the room, your colleagues on the other. It’s like a school disco – only with adults.
The answer: There’s nothing like a bit of gaming to break the ice. Watch competitive streaks overcome politeness once you boot up the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One X.
The graphics on these next-gen machines alone are enough of a talking point.
Xbox One X and FIFA 18
You can’t go wrong with a game of footie to get people talking –a multiplayer tournament on FIFA 18 on Xbox One X could even have them shouting.
And once you’ve berated someone for missing a ‘sitter’ you can hardly claim to be ‘shy’. FIFA is great too as it opens up the table to general football banter – who do you support? Who’s the best striker in the league blah, blah, blah.
Lenovo Star Wars: Jedi Challenges AR Headset
Like football, Star Wars is another subject that gets people talking – whether you love it or you hate it. Those who love it can bond over the Lenovo Star Wars Augmented Reality Headset.
Cutting-edge gaming tech is blended with rich nostalgia to keep young and old guests happy. They can enjoy wielding their own virtual lightsaber with the help of its tracking beacon.
Pilot iconic crafts like the Millennium Falcon and rise through the ranks of the Jedi Order.
Once the battles are over, older guests can wax lyrical about Star Wars back in the day.
Friends’ kids are getting bored
The disaster: Friends and family brought their kids along but you’ve not really catered for them and they’re starting to get bored.
The answer: A Christmas movie marathon is the perfect solution. Children young and old will struggle not to be impressed by the LG OLED 55C7V 55" Smart 4K TV.
How can it prevent a party disaster?
- the large 65-inch screen will capture their attention – at least for an hour or so
- their favourite movies will look better than ever when upscaled into super-sharp 4K resolution
- dark scenes in Harry Potter look incredibly deep and atmospheric with OLED screen tech
- Netflix is built-in to the TV so they’ll have plenty to watch
Create home cinema with Sonos to match the sharp picture with atmospheric sound. Put two Sonos One speakers behind your TV and to the side. Add a Sonos Playbar for stereo sound and a subwoofer for sharp dialogue.
Blitz that party aftermath
The disaster: You wake up and your tiled kitchen floor is sticky with spilt wine and beer. Your carpet trampled with vol-au-vents.
The answer: There’s not really any way of avoiding this one – but you can deal with it much quicker and more effectively with the right cleaning tech, such as an effective floor cleaner.
How can it prevent a disaster?
- Steam mop: This fancy mop uses jets of hot steam to rid your floor of the night before. The steam breaks down grease and grime, without a chemical in sight. This Vax Steam Fresh Combi Classic Pet Steam Mop will soon have your floors looking tip-top.
- Powerful vacuum: Carpet trampled with Pringles? Give it a thorough going over with a powerful vacuum that has features like suction boost and a direct-drive cleaner for getting deeper into the carpet. The exclusive Dyson V6 Total Clean does all of this – and comes with an extra cleaning head for hard floors.
You could also consider a carpet cleaner if you’re dealing with spilled red wine and other drinks.