What is Ultra HD Blu-ray?
Here’s everything you need to know about 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray so you can take Friday movie night to the next level.
We all know 4K TVs are at the top of their game when it comes to offering state-of-the-art picture and sound quality.
Well, now you can take your 4K viewing experience to the next level by pairing your TV with the latest Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K discs.
See why it should be in your home…
Why do you need it?
With the dawn of 4K TVs replacing Full HD, standard Blu-ray players have also upped their game, bringing the latest innovations in picture quality and sound straight in to your home.
Don’t let your 4K TV down – give it the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player it deserves.
Prepare to be blown away by…
- 4 times the resolution of regular Blu-ray. Experience more detail, depth and sharpness than ever before
- HDR dramatically improves colour and contrast. Brighter scenes pop from the screen, with new textures, shading and details bringing your viewing experience even closer to real life
- High frame rates make fast-moving action much more exciting (up to 60 frames p/second). It really is edge of your seat stuff.
- Better colour with support for 10 or 12-bit colour depth and much wider range of colours
How does it go above and beyond?
4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player picture quality surpasses not only original Blu-ray discs but is far superior to 4K streaming (from Netflix and Amazon Prime).
How? Well, it works by using HDR – a video format that takes a 4K picture and makes it even better… all you need is a 4K TV to pair it with.
Bear in mind the newer your 4K HDR TV, the better your picture and sound quality will be.
Will it still play your old Blu-ray discs?
Of course! The Ultra HD Blu-ray players are what’s called 'backwards compatible'. There’s no need to sacrifice your regular Blu-ray collection.
What movies can you watch in 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?
The biggest film studios in the world are all making 4K Blu-ray movies, including 20th Century Fox, Sony, Universal Pictures, Paramount and Lionsgate.
Now, all that’s left is to find the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player model which suits you…
- The premium Panasonic DMP-UB900 has already bagged itself a 5-star rating from What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision
- The Samsung UBD-K8500 is a lower priced option but still offers the very best picture quality and sound
- If you’re into gaming the Xbox One S also has a built-in 4K Blu-ray drive
Got an urge for home entertainment? Find home cinema, Blu-ray players and soundbars with us.